Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

Just recently purchased an 08 g6 convertible for my daughter. The car overall is great and a looker, but the top was not in operating order. We knew that going in, but I believe it was to good of a deal not to purchase.

We have a few issues...... we are getting a "top not secure" display on the radio, the two arms of trunk are not locking in place (please see attached pic), and the trunk release button not working. I have disconnected negative terminal to do the reset, and upon re-connecting and trying I hear a noise coming from the trunk but still does not pop open. Any input is greatly appreciated and thank you in advance!

I have attached a picture for reference (not my vehicle).

Update: thought I’d share a picture of my daughters car. I love the look, just hoping I can find the issue with too without spending a lot of money!!

Attachments

·
08 convertible
297 Posts
Welcome to the forum and buckle up. Yes the G6 has top-related issues. Fortunately we have a number of very knowledgeable people here with a fair amount of experience dealing with top issues. I'm sure they'll chime in. When you say " the two arms of trunk are not locking in place", what exactly do you mean? What "place" do you expect them to lock into?
Is the top currently stowed in the trunk or up and closed?
Have you ever been able to operate the top at all since you first saw the car? Partially, completely or ? Please describe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum and buckle up. Yes the G6 has top-related issues. Fortunately we have a number of very knowledgeable people here with a fair amount of experience dealing with top issues. I'm sure they'll chime in. When you say " the two arms of trunk are not locking in place", what exactly do you mean? What "place" do you expect them to lock into?
Is the top currently stowed in the trunk or up and closed?
Have you ever been able to operate the top at all since you first saw the car? Partially, completely or ? Please describe.
I apologize for not elaborating, i press on convertible top button and windows go down, but top does not go down and radio shows the top not secure message. As far as arms are mentioned, if we look at picture for reference I am not able to open the trunk in that manner. My trunk release button is not working, even after disconnecting negative terminal and trying again after reconnecting it does not pop open, all I hear is a noise coming from trunk but does not pop open.

This is all new to me, so any help is appreciated!

Thank you for the response

·
Registered
524 Posts
There may be a reason the trunk will not release normally. In the picture by the trunk opening you will see the G6 symbol and two slots. In those slots are two retractable clamps / hooks that latch on on to the trunk lid to prevent it from opening (or basically falling off if the clamps that control the reverse opening are not in place). My guess would be that the folding top module is not sensing the front of the trunk (near the window) being properly closed and the motion has stopped before those clamps on the trunk lid have released.

Back to dxG6's line of questioning, once the windows drop there are clamps that release the top and the front of the trunk lid. This would usually start the reverse clam action that lifts the trunk lid in the opposite direction to your picture to make room for the top to drop into the trunk. Once everything stops to you may see a gap in the front of the trunk lid and the window seal. it may be that you can gently lift it up to gain access to the trunk (you might need to wait 5 minutes or so for the hydraulic pressure to release) . If you can get the trunk reverse opened there are a number of things you can check:-
  • You may have a hydraulic leak and may have run out of fluid. Leaks can also prevent the system from building pressure.
  • There are a number of micro switches that allow the top to sense the current position. One may be faulty or the wiring (especially round the hinge points) may have frayed / broken. If you know someone with an advanced scanner like a Tech II it may be easier to pinpoint, but some have had success through close visual inspection and a multi-meter
Hope this provides some useful thoughts on where to start looking. Good luck with the fix

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There may be a reason the trunk will not release normally. In the picture by the trunk opening you will see the G6 symbol and two slots. In those slots are two retractable clamps / hooks that latch on on to the trunk lid to prevent it from opening (or basically falling off if the clamps that control the reverse opening are not in place). My guess would be that the folding top module is not sensing the front of the trunk (near the window) being properly closed and the motion has stopped before those clamps on the trunk lid have released.

Back to dxG6's line of questioning, once the windows drop there are clamps that release the top and the front of the trunk lid. This would usually start the reverse clam action that lifts the trunk lid in the opposite direction to your picture to make room for the top to drop into the trunk. Once everything stops to you may see a gap in the front of the trunk lid and the window seal. it may be that you can gently lift it up to gain access to the trunk (you might need to wait 5 minutes or so for the hydraulic pressure to release) . If you can get the trunk reverse opened there are a number of things you can check:-
  • You may have a hydraulic leak and may have run out of fluid. Leaks can also prevent the system from building pressure.
  • There are a number of micro switches that allow the top to sense the current position. One may be faulty or the wiring (especially round the hinge points) may have frayed / broken. If you know someone with an advanced scanner like a Tech II it may be easier to pinpoint, but some have had success through close visual inspection and a multi-meter
Hope this provides some useful thoughts on where to start looking. Good luck with the fix
I appreciate the information! I will keep you all updated.

Thank you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That sounds rough. I have a similar issue where when I press the button to drop the roof it lowers the windows and cracks the trunk open. Then nothing. What I do is release the button then press it again and the trunk starts to lift and the top starts to drop

·
Registered
6 Posts
Also when I first purchased my convertible the top would close but not lock and leave the “TOP NOT SECURE” warning on the radio. I figured out it was the micro switch in the left side front striker. Take the sun visor off and lower the trim. I remover the latch to figure out which switch needed work. They are set and lock tighted in. It has a paint mark to so it shouldn’t be adjusted. Well I loosened up the set screw and moved the switch. My top keeps working. Knock on wood

·
Registered
17 Posts
When I first got mine I had spoken to a GM dealership mechanic while picking up some parts and he said that if he owned one he would never put the top down. Because they have a bad rep for breaking and if it did, it would be next to impossible to get parts for! The most common problem with them he said was that the 2 plastic retractable flaps would break. He advised me to get a can of GM lubricant spray and keep everything well juiced all the time. I did and I do and have had no issues with it, yet (knocks wood)...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Update: haven’t had much time to mess with it. Arms are still not latching to ends of trunk (see picture), could it be there is no hydraulic pressure or a switch or both? Anyways, I focused on cold/heat actuator and was successful! I did notice a leak from pump, so wanted to inspect and find leak, I carefully removed fluid reservoir (empty), and found this small dowel cylinder under pump. My question, does it belong anywhere inside the reservoir?

Also, can someone tell me where this white goes?

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Update on nine as well.....I ty hrew in the towel and took it to a upholstery/body shop to get the top back up. They are slammed. Its been 2 weeks today since I dropped it off. On the up side the guy doing bit is sad to be the best top guy around and all the local dealers us him. The cylinders for the top can be rebuilt. There are 2 shops in Fla. He uses quite often. But the rebuild on those is 250 each. But from what I'm gathering the will be "BETTER THAN NEW" since GM didn't build em for shit originally. The new seals should last 15 years. And then the labor for fixing the top.....will be close to 1000 im guessing. Lol by the time I'm done with this thing I will be so under water ill never get out. Piant and body will cost me 6k. Good thing I love this damn car.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Also, can someone tell me where this white goes?
My guess would be the black and white wires go to the rear window defrost.

I have never had a need or been brave enough to disassemble the pump so cannot really help with the insides. Did it have any fluid residue on it or does it look like it is keyed to fit over the shaft? Could be that it is something that fell inside the car that has nothing to do with the hydraulics.

·
Registered
2008 G6 GT Convertible 3.5L
2 Posts
Update on nine as well.....I ty hrew in the towel and took it to a upholstery/body shop to get the top back up. They are slammed. Its been 2 weeks today since I dropped it off. On the up side the guy doing bit is sad to be the best top guy around and all the local dealers us him. The cylinders for the top can be rebuilt. There are 2 shops in Fla. He uses quite often. But the rebuild on those is 250 each. But from what I'm gathering the will be "BETTER THAN NEW" since GM didn't build em for shit originally. The new seals should last 15 years. And then the labor for fixing the top.....will be close to 1000 im guessing. Lol by the time I'm done with this thing I will be so under water ill never get out. Piant and body will cost me 6k. Good thing I love this damn car.
Hello, can you tell me where in FL the 2 shops are? I'm in Charleston SC and struggling to find someone to work the cable that operates the back shelf and left wing. FL may be an option. Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts