Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my car was throwing a p302 code a po 442 po 455 p0 117 po171 po 174 I replace the purge valve solenoid and cleared my codes and it is still randomly dying on me but no check engine light has came back on it'll let me crank it crank it crank it and it won't start sometimes it'll act like it's going to start and then it just poops out I did eventually get it home it wasn't that far from my house it did eventually start and run could it be my fuel pump it does have a rough idle and it does leak oil but I keep it topped off and check it all the time i am at a loss of what to do next dont wanna buy unnessary parts

· Registered
2008 Pontiac G6 GXP, 3.6L V6 sedan
95 Posts
Hi assuming you had this car for a long time. My suggestion is that there could be a couple of things causing the rough idle. Throttle body unit could be gummed up from over the years. If it was the fuel pump then you would not get any fuel into the car. I assume you also gave the car a tune up as well. Sounds like you need to change the air intake gaskets and valve cover gaskets on the engine and maybe the oil pan depending on where the leak is. Just keep in mind, the older the engine the more those seals become hard like plastic and stop working which allows for the leaks. Hope this helps.

· Registered
2006 G6 GTP F40
204 Posts
Definitely have the fuel pressure checked. Fuel pumps will do silly things on their way out the door. Not sure about our cars, but most fuel injected vehicles are happy between 45-60psi. Anything less, and you are asking for trouble.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi assuming you had this car for a long time. My suggestion is that there could be a couple of things causing the rough idle. Throttle body unit could be gummed up from over the years. If it was the fuel pump then you would not get any fuel into the car. I assume you also gave the car a tune up as well. Sounds like you need to change the air intake gaskets and valve cover gaskets on the engine and maybe the oil pan depending on where the leak is. Just keep in mind, the older the engine the more those seals become hard like plastic and stop working which allows for the leaks. Hope this helps.
thanks i just got it like 6 months ago used never did a tune up I have replaced the spark plugs the purge solenoid and a master cylinder power steering pump and now it's dying randomly with no codes to go on as check engine never came back on I'll keep that in mind about the gaskets and look at replacing those soon those as your right they do get hard over time

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Definitely have the fuel pressure checked. Fuel pumps will do silly things on their way out the door. Not sure about our cars, but most fuel injected vehicles are happy between 45-60psi. Anything less, and you are asking for trouble.
so if I can't get it to a shop to have it tested cuz I'd have to have it towed and I really don't want to pay a toll bill right now with Christmas right around the corner are there any code readers that I could get that read that function on my car and I can find it that way is that a thing or do I have to have an actual gauge hooked up on it?

· Registered
2006 G6 GTP F40
204 Posts
so if I can't get it to a shop to have it tested cuz I'd have to have it towed and I really don't want to pay a toll bill right now with Christmas right around the corner are there any code readers that I could get that read that function on my car and I can find it that way is that a thing or do I have to have an actual gauge hooked up on it?
Fuel pressure gauges are relatively inexpensive. You should be able to get one from your local auto parts store. They may even have one as a loaner tool. There should be a Schrader valve on your fuel line somewhere. Usually on the passenger side underneath the intake manifold. It should be accessible. These valves are used to relieve fuel pressure if servicing the fuel system, or when a fuel pressure test needs to be performed. I have not had the opportunity to take a look at my car to see exactly where it is located, but I can certainly do that once I get home. All you have to do is hook up the gauge to that little valve and then turn the key over several times allowing the fuel system to prime. Then, just take a look and see where the gauge has come to rest. Considering the nature of the issue that you are having, I would recommend repeating this test several times. Make sure you reset the gauge between every single test to get an accurate reading.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts