Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 g6 GT with the 3.9L engine. I don't drive it very often and it had sat for atleast 8 months since the last time I drove it. I had to charge the battery and started driving it again last Sunday waiting for my dd to get some repairs done. Everything seems to run fine and as it should I till today. At a red light the car seemed to start lunging and the rpm was a little sparatic, going up and down a couple hundred rpm at idle. A CEL came on but I couldn't check it right away. Continued driving for another hour or 2 and the car completely stalled out on me. Costed into a parking lot and tried to get it to start again. Wouldn't stay running if I took my foot off the gas. Ended up having it towed back home, got it home and figured I would try to start it so I could pull into the drive. No issue at all started right up and I let it sit in park at idle for about 10 minutes no issue.
Figured I'd take it to AutoZone and get the codes scanned it has 2 P0011 codes and a P0016 code. All call out bank 1 from the scanner if that makes a difference.
Does anyone have any idea what the heck is going on? It seems to be running fine now but I'm scared to try driving it anywhere more than a couple blocks away incase it happens again.

·
Registered
568 Posts
From another web site:-

P0011 Definition Pontiac G6

The Pontiac G6 utilizes camshaft actuators to change the valve lift depending on the RPM of the motor. This allows for a more efficient cam profile at any speed. When the timing is too far advanced
Camshaft Position Actuators change the lift of the camshaft up to 25 degrees. They are hydraulic, which means that they use the vehicle’s engine oil to control lift. So, if you have low oil pressure or dirty oil, it can keep them from doing their job properly, and trigger P0011.

Pontiac G6 P0016: Crank/Cam Position Correlation – Bank 1 Sensor “A” - could be explained by the issue above

So if you have not done it, you might want to check / change the oil. No idea if this is the real issue, but might be the least expensive thing you could try. Good luck with the fix :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From another web site:-

P0011 Definition Pontiac G6

The Pontiac G6 utilizes camshaft actuators to change the valve lift depending on the RPM of the motor. This allows for a more efficient cam profile at any speed. When the timing is too far advanced
Camshaft Position Actuators change the lift of the camshaft up to 25 degrees. They are hydraulic, which means that they use the vehicle’s engine oil to control lift. So, if you have low oil pressure or dirty oil, it can keep them from doing their job properly, and trigger P0011.

Pontiac G6 P0016: Crank/Cam Position Correlation – Bank 1 Sensor “A” - could be explained by the issue above

So if you have not done it, you might want to check / change the oil. No idea if this is the real issue, but might be the least expensive thing you could try. Good luck with the fix :)
I did get an oil change afterwards while it was running again. Probably get some seafoam for the gas tank and oilcase tomorrow and hope that's the issue. Sure would be nice. I'll update as I drive the car more. It was due for an oil change after sitting so long anyways.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I guess it was a little more serious than needing to clean the sensors and get an oil change. Drove fine for a few days and now I'm pretty sure the timing jumped and threw a rod. Starts and runs but has no power when you hit the gas and has a terrible almost gauling sound. Only tried driving it enough to get it into the driveway from towtruck. Hoping I didn't do too much more damage. Will update if I ever get around to getting the engine apart and fixing it or might end up parting the car out. I know parts for the 3.9 aren't as easy to find as the 3.5 so I may be SOL. 😢

1 - 5 of 5 Posts