Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an 08 G6 about a year ago used (14,000) miles from a dealership and have nothing but problems with it. My display shows the tire pressure completely backwards. i still have less than 25,000 miles on it and out of nowhere the car starts shaking. Diagnostics says cylinder misfire. in the past month, i get a variety of lights that go on and off. Check engine, traction control, brake, abs, etc. it just seems to be nonstop with the vehicle. of course, its still under warranty, but everytime a light comes on, they want another $100 just to check it. and if this is under warranty period, is this a sign of much worse things to come as the car gets older

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have never used any forum before or any site, so please excuse me if i did anything wrong. im just wondering if a lot of other people have so many problems

·
Registered
606 Posts
First I ever head of warranty diagnostics coating $100. Call customer service and see if it's legal. 1-800-762-2737

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey

i have a 2008 g6 sedan base. just turned 50000 miles on mine. i havent had any of those problems, so it is not like things will get worse for u. If i were u though i would check the carfax, sounds like the car was in a flood or something.

·
Professional geek
433 Posts
My display shows the tire pressure completely backwards.
By that, I assume that you mean Left is Right or Front is Rear or some combination thereof. If you have the owner's manual, the instructions to recalibrate the TPMS are in there; it takes about 3 minutes. If you don't have the owner's manual you can find it online for free.

but everytime a light comes on, they want another $100 just to check it. and if this is under warranty period, is this a sign of much worse things to come as the car gets older
Insanity. You shouldn't have to pay a penny for a warranty claim. Is this through a non-GM dealer? Perhaps some extended warranty silliness?

I bought my car used and still am covered under the original warranty.

~ MattInSoCal

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did check carfax because I was 100% convinced that there was some kind of accident, flood damage or something. The report was 100 % clean (only had the original title info, along with it being transferred to me. As far as the warranty, everyone keeps telling me that I should not have to pay for diagnostics. However, I have called several places, which are all GM dealers. They all have told me I need to pay for diagnostics. I read somewhere that you may have to pay for it, and if something is wrong that's covered under warranty, you get that money back. I also asked the dealerships about this. They all say that's false. I also had it done for free at Auto Zone with a copy of the printout. They will not accept that. I will call that customer service number and ask them today. Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
slls

THANK YOU SOOOOOOO MUCH FOR THAT PHONE NUMBER....for a few reasons. The dealership I bought the car from, and also does all my maintenance, is of course, the first place that I called.They told me that I would still have to pay $115+tax for diagnostics whether its a warranty problem or not. From there, if it's under warranty, it will be covered, and if not, I pay for it. Well, when I spoke to the woman at PONTIAC, she explained to me that the place is no longer GM certified, so basically, they tried to rip me off because whether I got the car fixed there or not, they still got money for the diagnostics at the very least. Secondly, she told me the places I could go (which were other places I had already called) and said that she now has a file # for me, and that if the problems are things still under warranty, I would get my diagnostics fee back, and not to let anyone tell me otherwise. She also called the place for me, while all 3 of us were on the phone together, to make this clear on ALL ends.

Now I'm hoping and praying it's covered under warranty, because that's a lot of lights going on, and wouldn't even want to see the bill for it. I will find out at 2:30 today though! So I appreciate your help so much!

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have a 08 Gt, only issues I have had is a water pump replacement at 54,000 and a cracked spark plug at 49,000. Otherwise it's been great, the backwards tire pressure could be from the tires being rotated and the monitors not being reprogrammed like they're supposed to be.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i am extremely happy. The place they sent me to said it would be $90 to see why the abs light came on because its completely separate from check engine light. well, the reason ALL the lights were coming on, and the a/c was messing up, and the car shaking, etc. was all due to a cracked spark plug. So, I had to pay for NOTHING. thanks so much for everyones help, or I wouldve ended up at that dealer that would have took my money and ran.
As far as the tires, I do need to figure out how to change that as Im sure it probably is from a rotation, but that's not a HUGE deal considering I know it's backwards and doesnt affect performance
Hopefully I wont have anymore problems anytime soon, and now know to call Pontiac with questions.
(Sorry, female that knows nothing about cars.lol)
THANKS AGAIN

·
GTP 06
588 Posts
You know, I had taken my car in for a oil change and they did a 100 point inspection "free" and found a couple leaks, head gaskets, tranny line, front main seal. They ordered the parts and called enterprise. I had a new rental waiting for me when I went back to the dealer "paid for by the warranty". 2 days later the dealer called and said my car was done. Dropped off the rental and drove away. No signing, paying or anything. So in turn, I guess it really depends on the dealer. Some dealers just want to sell cars and not work on them. Others like my dealer want to make money fixing and selling them, and because GM is paying for all the work they do on warranty's, they will find any problem they can to rack up labor fees for GM.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I bought an 08 G6 about a year ago used (14,000) miles from a dealership and have nothing but problems with it. My display shows the tire pressure completely backwards. i still have less than 25,000 miles on it and out of nowhere the car starts shaking. Diagnostics says cylinder misfire. in the past month, i get a variety of lights that go on and off. Check engine, traction control, brake, abs, etc. it just seems to be nonstop with the vehicle. of course, its still under warranty, but everytime a light comes on, they want another $100 just to check it. and if this is under warranty period, is this a sign of much worse things to come as the car gets older
Bad connection at body control module (loose electrical pins, extremely common) will cause all the abs and traction lights to come on. Engine misfire is most likely causing the shake. Misfires are usually spark plug/plug wire or ignition coil depending on which engine you have.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts