Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, I have an 08 G6 with roughly 112,000 miles. It's a 3.5L V6. Two days ago, the car was running and driving great. Yesterday when I started the car and for about 20 mins after, it ran great, all of a sudden my temperature gauge on my dash dropped down to 100 (a 0 reading) and my air conditioner stopped blowing out cold air. Matter of fact, I'm not even sure the fan would kick on... I turned the car on and off multiple times yesterday and it still did the same thing. After doing some research, I was told it could be the thermostat control switch. The check engine light is not on...My mechanic is out of pocket for a while and I am sadly a single momma whoe doesn't work during the summer so I am having to have a friend help me with this... can anyone tell me what I'm looking at or where the thermostat control switch is even located? Thanks

·
Registered
343 Posts
I would guess that either the thermostat is stuck open or the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sender could be faulty. I thought both were supposed to produce fault codes. There are youtube videos on how to change each. The thermostat is behind a hose fitting just above the AC compressor on the front lower left hand side of the engine when looking from the front. The temperature sensor is below the throttle body I believe. The youtube videos would help you locate them.

Good luck with the fix.

Attachments

·
4,045 Posts
I’ve got an 07 Malibu in the family that’s had this same problem for years. I’ve changed out many temp sensors and thermostats and it’s always come back. The last time I messed with it I cleaned the connector to the temp sensor real good, die electric greased it and it lasted months.
I did find that when it happens if you disconnect the battery for ten seconds it will work again. Which rules out the thermostat being stuck open. My next step is to Change out the actual pigtail plug end. Then the only thing left would be the ECM.
Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts