Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New starter and battery. No codes or warning lights. Sometimes it will start and most times won't. Relay clicks when key is turned but no crank. All fuses are good. When it does start the engine runs fine. I don't know where else to look. Need ideas.

·
08 convertible
296 Posts
Why were the starter and battery replaced? What was happening before replacement? Did replacing the battery and starter change anything?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Battery replacement was general maintenance a few months ago. Just replaced the starter because it seemed like a good place to begin. Vehicle had no issues prior to this.

·
Registered
06 G6 GT
14 Posts
Do you hear the fuel pump kick on when you turn the key? Have you checked your fuses in the engine fuse box under the hood? Seems trivial, but trust me from experience that some problems are just that simple

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ok , you just R+ R the starter and battery connections and now you have starting issues ? Go back over your work and make certain the connections are tight and sparkling bright . :unsure:

·
2008 G6 Convertible
7 Posts
It’s possible you installed a bad “new” starter. Sounds like there are some dead spots in the windings of the starter. Was it refurbished or new? Maybe return it for another one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
New starter and battery. No codes or warning lights. Sometimes it will start and most times won't. Relay clicks when key is turned but no crank. All fuses are good. When it does start the engine runs fine. I don't know where else to look. Need ideas.
I have seen new batteries go bad within days. I always check voltage on the battery with a volt meter. Also I have someone crank the engine while I watch the meter. An inexpensive meter with a needle is easier for me to read as digital meters just flicker numbers as the engine cranks. When cranking the engine the voltage measured on the battery should stay near 12 volts. If it drops below 10 volts, I would take the battery to be tested. Have also seen batteries go dead in a few hours due to a current draw by the radio, but other electrical items like a glove box or trunk light staying on will quickly drain battery.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts