Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
09.5 G6 Cruise Control Question

I just finished purchasing a 09.5 G6, but I was unable to get it with the preferred package with everyone trying to get in on the Cash for Clunkers deal. I was able to get them to through in RKE for cheap but I didn't ask about Cruise.

From what I read, it sounds like its just a steering wheel swap. I did notice Lampoon's post about it needing to have the right wires running to it (I will check and post a pic when I get the chance). What I wanted to know is if there is anything special to consider with the late models? Or do I just need to make sure that the steering wheel has the right buttons and the wires are there?

Also, I notice that a Malibu uses almost exactly the same steering wheel, will that work if I get it without the paddles?

Lastly, do I need to go to the dealer at all to program or should it work out of the "box"?

Thank you in advance for your help!

· Lifetime Member
3,805 Posts
Hey welcome to the site.

I'm not sure I understand your question. It seems like your asking for help on swapping out the steering wheel. Isn't this an 09.5? Its early and my coffee is perking so maybe I'm just not awake enough understand:beer:

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I've been reading quite a bit trying to figure it out for sure.

Sorry if my post was confusing. GM made an adjustment on the late model 09s (09.5s) where they moved the DIC controls from the radio to the steering wheel. That means in order to get cruise, I need one with the DIC controls (like on the Malibu). I wanted to make sure there wasn't anything else I need to consider. I'll post a pic of the connector when I get a chance.

Also, do I really need to go to the dealer to have the BCM reprogrammed?

Thanks again!

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry that it has been a little bit since my last post. I haven't heard anything so I thought I would follow up.

It has been tough to find a steering wheel that is specific to the 09.5's, although I did find the proper switch kit (the one with the red backlighting) at AC Delco. At their site, it talks about an Interim Sales Package. Anyways, I noticed that it is the same one used by the G5, so that might help later.

As far as wiring goes, I did check and I have all 8 wires running to the plug on the steering wheel. I have a follow-up question about wiring. I found a new 09 (not 09.5) steering wheel for really cheap. Would it be possible to use that wheel and swap out the buttons? Or would I need to order a new harness?

Also, is the BCM programming really needed?

Thanks so much!

· Lifetime Member
3,805 Posts
Okay I hate to say that I'm in over my head on this one; I simply don't know:(. The best I can do is bump this thread up to let other see it more and maybe someone who does know can help.
Anyone else???:confused:

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks geewhiz for your help.

I guess maybe an easier question to ask is if I need to order a new harness, what one should I order? On gmpartsdirect there is only one listed, is that one OK? Should I instead order the one for a Malibu or G5?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.