Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here,
I ran across the site while searching for help in regards to issues I am having with my wife's 2009 Pontiac G6 GXP Sedan. Several weeks ago, the A/C quit working suddenly. First we thought this was the only issue and must need some AC work done...however, as we drove it a bit more, we noticed the gauges on the dash (speedometer, rpm, temp, etc.) would suddenly "0" out and then resume working randomly with no explanation while driving. Then suddenly while this would happen the radio would cut out and all the center console lights would go out all at the same time for 15 seconds at a time. Sometimes it would all start working again and be fine for 10 minutes, other times it would start to cut out again as soon as it turned back on. Operation of the vehicle as far as driving works fine, no loss of steering, power etc. We also began to notice the keyless entry would sometimes quit working & the automatic start would not work from time to time. I was just about to take it to the shop, but then it all started working again just fine. It worked great (including the AC) for about 2-3 weeks.

This past weekend we took it on a small road trip and guess what....it started acting up even worse than before. All the same problems exist as they did before, but it seems like it is doing it much more frequently now than before, and there were a few times that we would stop where I turned the key over and it didn't even act like it wanted to try to start (no noise, turnover anything). As soon as I would try it again it would start right up. It is very confusing and frustrating, and I am going to take it to the shop soon. I just wondered if this had happened to anyone else, and if so...what the issue was. I have had a few people tell me the BCM needs to be replaced. Due to my wife commuting for work, I am outside of the bumper to bumper by about 10K miles....just my luck. Any help or insight would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Has the charging system light been on at all? Start by having the alternator & battery tested...most stores that sell tires do this for free. It's very possible both will test good if its an intermittent issue which is what you report. Best time to do the testing is when the problem occurs of course. You also need to ensure all the battery & alternator connections are clean & tight.

·
Registered
638 Posts
check all the grounds, the one from the battery to the engine is probably broken off or close to being broke off due to the excessive toqueing of the engine back and forth from haveing such loose motor mounts......

·
Da.v3
597 Posts
its an 09...taking it in for warranty would sound like a pretty good idea to me?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately warranty isn't an option as I stated because I am 10K miles over the 36K bumper to bumper...I know I have 100k mile powertrain, but I cannot forsee this being related to power train as the vehicle "drives" just fine. All the connections to the battery are in good shape, no corrosion or looseness at all, I just put a new battery in the car last summer so it should be in good shape as well. This does not seem like a battery or charging system issue as the car starts and runs just fine, and the problems are very intermitten and not constant. Any other advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
This does not seem like a battery or charging system issue as the car starts and runs just fine, and the problems are very intermitten and not constant.
From your own first post:

"...and there were a few times that we would stop where I turned the key over and it didn't even act like it wanted to try to start (no noise, turnover anything). As soon as I would try it again it would start right up."

If you can't use a multimeter you need someone who can.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts