Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a G6 GXP as specified above and it stutters/jerks at 40-55mph... I can not find a straight answer on the internet, and from what I seen neither has anyone else so I am trying my luck here. When driving under 40 or over about 55 it does fine its between 40-55 it starts stuttering really hard.. from what I've seen it could be anything from bad spark plugs to being in need of a tune up or software update... has anyone been able to confirm or deny this?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Is the CEL illuminated, any codes?
Start at the basics, you mentioned.
When were the plugs done last?
If you can't remember, change 'em then move from there.
It doesn't make sense to diagnose a vehicle that needs basic maintenance.
Probably wouldn't hurt to do the wires while you are at it.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the CEL illuminated, any codes?
Start at the basics, you mentioned.
When were the plugs done last?
If you can't remember, change 'em then move from there.
It doesn't make sense to diagnose a vehicle that needs basic maintenance.
Probably wouldn't hurt to do the wires while you are at it.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
The code that I can pull is one for high purge flow, only other light than that is the tire pressure monitor indicator. I took it to the shop yesterday and they couldn't quite figure it out either. We just bought it a couple weeks ago so I'm not sure when the plugs were done last so I didn't want to throw parts at it without getting some reliable insight first with so many possible causes and the amount of people across the internet I've seen have this problem I figured someone might be able to narrow it down a little more. Unfortunately since we weren't able to get on the highway or drive it very far (they sent us on a test drive with no gas) we weren't aware of the problem until after we had bought it. I will look into starting on the plugs first though, probably the least expensive of the "probable causes"...

·
Registered
336 Posts
Posting the actual P _ _ _ _ number will give members here a clearer picture to offer advice. BUT since you say a code for high purge flow rate, it's quite possible that the purge control solenoid on the engine is stuck open(and rather common on all GM older vehicles). Not an expensive part or hard to replace.
Stuck open acts as a vacuum leak and can cause some of your problems. Just getting a used vehicle, should have planned to do spark plugs and wires right off as these are 2 of the most overlooked maint. items of any car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have a G6 GXP as specified above and it stutters/jerks at 40-55mph... I can not find a straight answer on the internet, and from what I seen neither has anyone else so I am trying my luck here. When driving under 40 or over about 55 it does fine its between 40-55 it starts stuttering really hard.. from what I've seen it could be anything from bad spar
We have a G6 GXP as specified above and it stutters/jerks at 40-55mph... I can not find a straight answer on the internet, and from what I seen neither has anyone else so I am trying my luck here. When driving under 40 or over about 55 it does fine its between 40-55 it starts stuttering really hard.. from what I've seen it could be anything from bad spark plugs to being in need of a tune up or software update... has anyone been able to confirm or deny this?
k plugs to being in need of a tune up or software update... has anyone been able to confirm or deny this?
I own an 09 G6 GXP and my car has a nice take off until 30mph and at that point it does the same as what you're describing except after 40mph it runs nice and smooth! So from 30 to 40 it hesitates or boggs down and after 40 it has no issues. I've had a complete tune up and replaced all the belts! Thought it was one of the gears in the transmission so I had it looked at by 3 dealerships, one which sold new Pontiacs for years, and everyone told me my car was perfect! Transmission is fine! Engine is great! I drive a lot for my job and I know there is something not right.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts