Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Living the MINI life...
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use 10w30. I know the manual says to use 5w30. Does it matter?

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
I use 10w30. I know the manual says to use 5w30. Does it matter?
I personally don't believe it matters too much with that little difference but I do stay with what is recomended.
I think if you are going to change to 10/30 just be consistant for the rest of your oil changes.

·
IT'S BAD ASS IN BLACK!!!!
135 Posts
There will be NO noticeable difference in the use of one over the other except in a colder climate and then the engine will start easier with the 5w30.

·
Varsity Squad
751 Posts
Since you live in GA, the 10 W 30 is fine, but you would get a little better gas mileage from the 5 w 30, it will lubricate your motor better at start up, and the engine dosent have to work as hard to pump the 5 w 30 throughout your motor.

·
Registered
20 Posts
THECATMAC is correct

The "W" number is a winter rating...viscosity rating at -18. Higher the number the more viscous it is...thicker

So 5W and 10W have different viscosity ratings at lower temperatures.

The 30 is the viscosity rating at normal operating temperatures...so they are identical at that point.
As a general rule, the larger the gap between the 2 numbers the faster it will break down. So 5W30 will break down a little quicker than 10W30...it has more additives to make it work better at the lower temps.

So...in GA, 10W30 will be technically better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The lower number 5W-30 is just the thickness of the oil. Depending on the climate, conditions, and driving styles one will be better. 5W-30 is less thick than its 10w counterpart so cold climate and higher RPM driving would benifit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts