Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There seem to be a LOT of negative reports about the g6 on this board. I'd just like to say I am close to hitting the 15K mile mark and I have had no problems with my vehicle that I would consider serious. I had some minor rattles, which all but one of those have been fixed. The only remaining rattle is the panoramic roof rattle/pop which I am told now there is a fix for that. I just haven't had the chance to take it back to the shop yet. I had a momentary rough idle intermittently after cold starts, my dealer cleaned the injectors and the problem has not re-ocurred. The g6 is fun to drive, gets really good gas mileage, and best of all, it looks great! Just thought I'd share a positive experience for a change.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Good for you!! I think your comment on the rough idle may help others that had questioned the idle at start ups. Thanks!! :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
you always seem to hear about the bad things, but people hardly ever report when they're happy with something. thanks.

i may have mentioned it here before, but i've been informed that Citgo gas clogs the GM injectors, for whatever reason.

GM has a list of approved GAS vendors somewhere, and i'm sure that'll help with the idle issues if cleaning the injectors solved it. in case anyone has that issue, i suggest you google for the GM approved gas list, and try and go there when you can. it might be harder (mine is way out of the way to get to), but it could help with the longetivity of your car...

·
Registered
235 Posts
Vita said:
you always seem to hear about the bad things, but people hardly ever report when they're happy with something. thanks.

i may have mentioned it here before, but i've been informed that Citgo gas clogs the GM injectors, for whatever reason.

GM has a list of approved GAS vendors somewhere, and i'm sure that'll help with the idle issues if cleaning the injectors solved it. in case anyone has that issue, i suggest you google for the GM approved gas list, and try and go there when you can. it might be harder (mine is way out of the way to get to), but it could help with the longetivity of your car...

I did not know that. Thanks for the info!! :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
for some reason i'm not coming up with the list. i'll keep trying, but if anyone comes across it, post it up!

·
3 Posts
G6 16,200 miles

So far no issues and no visits to the dealer for anything!!! It has been oil changes and tire rotation only

·
Registered
80 Posts
mgsooner said:
There seem to be a LOT of negative reports about the g6 on this board. I'd just like to say I am close to hitting the 15K mile mark and I have had no problems with my vehicle that I would consider serious. I had some minor rattles, which all but one of those have been fixed. The only remaining rattle is the panoramic roof rattle/pop which I am told now there is a fix for that. I just haven't had the chance to take it back to the shop yet. I had a momentary rough idle intermittently after cold starts, my dealer cleaned the injectors and the problem has not re-ocurred. The g6 is fun to drive, gets really good gas mileage, and best of all, it looks great! Just thought I'd share a positive experience for a change.

Uh,I guess it depends on what your definition of "no problems" is. At 15k miles you shouldn't have a single rattle, the roof should be solid, and no rough idle. 15k is just getting started. Any of these problems before 15k, would really get to me, but I guess everyone has different tolerance levels.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Vita said:

What? are you serious? Its not like Citgo is a "no-name" supplier. A car shouldn't need a list of "approved gas vendors". Perhaps running some injector cleaner through your tank every 5k will do the trick.

·
Registered
142 Posts
It's all politics, if there is some "approved gas" it would only because GM would say to the refineries... you scratch our backs and we'll scratch yours. Its the way the world works! I used to use the Lucas additives (not in G6 yet) but I used to notice a huge difference in my RX7 as far as gas miliage and acceloration!! The oil additive I put in my Monte with the 3.1, used to have a tick... completly gone, for the 5 years I worked at Napa, we couldnt keep this on the shelves long enough!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jp375 said:
Uh,I guess it depends on what your definition of "no problems" is. At 15k miles you shouldn't have a single rattle, the roof should be solid, and no rough idle. 15k is just getting started. Any of these problems before 15k, would really get to me, but I guess everyone has different tolerance levels.
Please do not misconstrue what I said. I said "I have had no problems with my vehicle that I would consider serious", not no problems whatsoever. With a new model in its first year of production I think it's a bit unrealistic to expect absolutely no rattles or minor issues to crop up. There has been nothing crop up so far that the dealer has not been able to resolve.

·
Registered
114 Posts
jp375 said:
What? are you serious? Its not like Citgo is a "no-name" supplier. A car shouldn't need a list of "approved gas vendors". Perhaps running some injector cleaner through your tank every 5k will do the trick.
yes, i am serious. i don't base this on the approved "vendors" list, but from a GM Tech who told me not to go to Citgo (they won't tell customers this, as Citgo can sue them because their gas is "technically" good enough) because it's been discovered that customers who primarily use Citgo gas have been having issues with their fuel injectors. it has to do with the fact that GMs injectors get clogged eventually by some detergents or something that's found in higher quantity in Citgo gas.

take it for what you will, but if you regularly use Citgo gas, and you end up having injector issues, don't cry about it. just trying to inform people as to what a good friend of mine told me...

·
Registered
199 Posts
SimplyRed said:
It's all politics, if there is some "approved gas" it would only because GM would say to the refineries... you scratch our backs and we'll scratch yours. Its the way the world works! I used to use the Lucas additives (not in G6 yet) but I used to notice a huge difference in my RX7 as far as gas miliage and acceloration!! The oil additive I put in my Monte with the 3.1, used to have a tick... completly gone, for the 5 years I worked at Napa, we couldnt keep this on the shelves long enough!
I agree that the Lucas additives are the best around. I would buy this stuff by the gallon if it was available :agree2:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts