Pontiac G6 Forum banner

2.4 4cyl Intake Without Tune Solution

6K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Tommy 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello Everyone, I found a way to run an intake for the 4 cylinder engine, without requiring a tune to fix the pesky check engine light issue where it throws a Lean code. Basically because the stock PCM can't compensate for the added airflow past the MAF sensor.

Solution? Decrease the inside diameter of the intake tube to the stock diameter at the MAF sensor. I did this a couple of years ago and here's how you can do it more easily.

I went on ebay and got a cheap pos intake for the Cobalt SS 2.4. You can buy different intakes around the internet for the Cobalt 2.4, and they'll fit the G6.
But I replaced half of my intake with Spectre intake parts, you can buy these parts at most auto parts stores, but I chose to go through amazon. You can build a complete intake with Spectre parts and the quality isn't bad. They offer 3" aluminum intake tubing and silicone couplers that don't look like crap and won't fall apart.

To get passed the lean issue I was running into, I found a funnel and two paint can caps that had a diameter of 2.5" I cut them up and glued it all together and placed it inside my intake where the MAF sensor is located. Right away no check engine light and everything ran perfect.
Sure I had necked down the intake causing a restriction, but it still sounded way better then stock and felt nicer.

Well I didn't find this until recently but Spectre makes a MAF sensor adapter that includes inserts similar to what I made. It looks like a more quality adapter and I'm here to tell you about it!

The product is the Spectre 3" MAF Sensor Kit:

Inside you get this, along with a little pouch to hold the extra parts (not pictured)

You get a section of intake tubing with a block welded to it, and 5 MAF base adapters, and an o-ring that goes between the base and the intake tube.
In the picture I have the attachment installed to fit the MAF for the 2.4

And these are the "manual MAF tuning" inserts

They come in three sizes, 2.25" 2.5" and 2.75"
So all you'd need to do is select the 2.5" insert and fit it into the intake.

Here's a shot of it with the MAF installed:

And from the other side where the funnel is allowing no air to bypass the insert.

This kit is about $30 and isn't bad at all.
Most expensive intakes for the cobalt come in 2.5" so there aren't tuning issues. What I like about this kit is the fact it's easily removable, Once you get a tune to fix the issue (if you plan to) you can pull the insert and be good to go. But the MAF adapter tube isn't poorly welded or machined, so the gasket on the MAF sensor will seal and the O-ring will also seal, Stopping any possible un-metered air leaks that can effect the engine's performance and economy (the main reason I bought this).

Questions, Comments, or Concerns? Just post or PM!

See less See more
#2 ·
Hell yeah!! I will have to pick this up along with an intake off eBay so I can finally have a CAI. Link to eBay or amazon or wherever this can be had at? Awesome find cruisin! Your basically a godsend for us 2.4 owners hahaha.

Sent from my Desire HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#3 ·
Also will this yield same as stock results or do you gain at least a few more hooves on the ground? Lol

Sent from my Desire HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#4 · (Edited)
I got the MAF adapter from amazon here:

And another angle piece, probably a 30 degree or 45 degree piece and I can move the filter up into the engine bay where the stock use to sit.

If you get all spectre parts you can build an intake for probably around $100. One thing I noticed though, to get the actual aluminum pieces and no crappy chrome plated plastic, you'd need to order the parts online. Stores like autozone only sell filters, plastic connectors, and the aluminum front pipe.

As far as improvements go. When I had my stock tune, with the intake and the insert. I noticed improved throttle response and it seemed to be quicker off the line. It didn't make a HUGE improvement, but it did make the car seem more beefy. Especially under WOT, it sounded pretty fantastic even with the insert.

And for all I know, the 2.75" insert could also work without the CEL, But the only way to find out is to try, and honestly I couldn't stand my stock tune after having the wams so I probably won't bother. haha

Also, that 3" top pipe may rub the hood mat a little bit, Mine does but it doesn't bother me. ha I like the MAF adapter because it's separate so you can rotate it to prevent the MAF wires from being stretched like crazy.

Just used this and other spectre parts to build a short ram for the winter months:

Sounds louder now! I'm planning on adding a 45 degree angle piece, I think that should be sufficient to move the filter up more and make room for my torque damper

#8 ·
I'd probably be interested in that intake, but it's probably not cost effective for me at this point ha. I'm sure it'll go quickly, many seem to still prefer a working intake without this sort of MAF adapter required, and not paying a bunch for a tuned PCM to fix it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.