Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this thread is for those with the 2.4 to post their gas mileage. it may help others in deciding on a purchase (not to mention i'd love to see what you're averaging).

·
Registered
73 Posts
Vita said:
this thread is for those with the 2.4 to post their gas mileage. it may help others in deciding on a purchase (not to mention i'd love to see what you're averaging).
averaging about 10.0 L/100 km !! I reset it every time when I fuel it to full tank!! Mostly highway driving due to work!!! averaging around 70 km perday!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Weller said:
Yes it does! 10 km/1 L = 23.52 mi/1 gal (US)

i wasn't so sure of the calcultation i found on the 'net.

very cool though, that means it's averaging more than my current car (Saturn Ion Red Line) is (21-22 mpg, lots of traffic). not bad for a tad bit less power, and a 4-500lb increase in weight.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Redsun_ty said:
averaging about 10.0 L/100 km !! I reset it every time when I fuel it to full tank!! Mostly highway driving due to work!!! averaging around 70 km perday!
how many miles on your car?

do you baby it, or do you get on it to pass, etc. (what is your driving style?)?

·
Registered
113 Posts
If that is all the difference there is, I'm happy with having the V6. The worst I've had unless I idle it alot (as in remote start ups) has been 21-21.5 around town. I took my first trip in it recently and got a maximum on my return trip of 31.6 or was that 31.8, anyway my driving style is normal, no "pin you in the seat" acceleration. Use cruise control as much as possible, speed within 8-10 over (MAX) miles of the limit. I keep my tires at 35 PSI cold, which is inflated more than the "factory" recommended inflation :crazy: but is what I have always kept my tires at on all of my cars for many years.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm seeing 9.0L/100KM on average with mine, 1,510km on it right now. I've only filled it twice! Mixed city/highway, but mostly city driving. Varied driving.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Vita said:
how many miles on your car?

do you baby it, or do you get on it to pass, etc. (what is your driving style?)?
I have 9000 km on the car !! Is very hard for me to press the gas all the time because of damn traffic in Toronto highways so usually I go easy but very odd times I have to get on the gas pedal to over pass people plus lots and lots of stop and go!! :p

·
Registered
73 Posts
built4drivers said:
I'm seeing 9.0L/100KM on average with mine, 1,510km on it right now. I've only filled it twice! Mixed city/highway, but mostly city driving. Varied driving.
9.0 on a pursuit?? GT?? or the same 2.4 ecotec engine!!

·
Registered
532 Posts
I am seeing 21.2mpg right now after several weeks of mixed driving (extremely agressive style).. I am shocked its that high..especially when I sit against the limiter for a few minutes every day.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Pursuit? No, 4-Cyl G6. My old Pursuit with 2.2L Ecotec was averaging about 8.5L/100KM in the summer and 9.0 in the winter, so what I'm seeing with the G6 is great! More room, more oomph, same fuel burn!

Edit: Whoops, I gotta change my profile to show the right car, Pursuit gone since the 20th of December! :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
picked up our G6 last night.

i reset the DIC mileage, and after doing a little hard driving on the freeway to open it up for the first time, and going through rush hour this morning, the DIC states 23.5 mpg, and i was purposfully getting on it.

i'll update when this tank is gone.

PS - the 2.4 is hardly a dog. might not be a speed racer, but it's not a dog. and i'm not coming from a slow car...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Vita said:
picked up our G6 last night.

i reset the DIC mileage, and after doing a little hard driving on the freeway to open it up for the first time, and going through rush hour this morning, the DIC states 23.5 mpg, and i was purposfully getting on it.

i'll update when this tank is gone.

PS - the 2.4 is hardly a dog. might not be a speed racer, but it's not a dog. and i'm not coming from a slow car...
I agree its not really a dog the 2.4 litres it picks up quickly it just noisy when u punch the engine!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
agreed, it's certainly noisy when you get on it, but i like the sound, especially when you just give it a little to get going. kind of a neat "rumble" for a 4.

anyways, update...

so far i've been averaging 22.0 mpg on the money, and i drive in rush hour at least 1 hour 5 days a week. on top of that, i'm not babying it. when i was driving like a sunday driver, it steadily climbed up above 25, and i got sick of it and it's now hovering at 22.

these numbers are confirmed after 3 tanks of gas using actual calculations (very pleased with DIC accuracy). number of miles driven divided by gallons filled.

i do realize that the 6 will have a good amount more pull than the 4, but for what it is it is totally adequate, not to mention when they found out it was a 4 (not sure why they didn't from VIN) my insurance DROPPED over $20/month instead of raise by nearly the same amount.

all in all, very happy.

i don't know if it was here or somewhere else, but i read that people have issues with parking. no clue where that comes from. the only thing i notice is the larger turning radius. aside from that, it's a quiet ride, almost too quiet (aside from engine noise), and the shifting is responsive and remarkably smooth compared to other GM 4spd. autos i've driven. the calibration is great.

also, the VVT keeps it from having to drop gears most of the time, which is nice because you can tell when it adjusts, and if it were to switch gears each time i can feel it, i think i'd dislike the driving experience.

for those that don't need power/speed, this is the perfect car. though the trunk is a little lacking in the height department, but is deep/wide enough to hold enough to get by. definitely not going to be the camping car though (and i'm not sad about it...).

will chime back in with longer term mileage reports...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Our base Granite G6 is really a great runner. My wife is the primary driver but I end up driving us all on the weekends and I think it is all the things Vita mentioned. Extremely quiet, very nice ride, but firm. Even the standard wheels & tires stick great. The only thing that I can complain about is the seat comfort. My butt is wider than the driver's seat. The side bolsters are too firm. Is this a problem any of you larger males have noted?

The G6 gas mileage has averaged as high as 25+ but I have never beat on it. Worst has been 23.5.

·
Registered
73 Posts
"also, the VVT keeps it from having to drop gears most of the time, which is nice because you can tell when it adjusts, and if it were to switch gears each time i can feel it, i think i'd dislike the driving experience."

Hm.....speaking of droping gears I get annoying by this when I am at the highway when traffic comes usually go not as fast maybe around 60-70 km or even less. I notice it drops to the next gear and then it went back on the previous gears when i stop throttling (remind you i am just nudging the gas pedal lightly). Sometimes not even power it kicks back on the previous gear and then u accerlate little bit it goes on the next gear. Aside from all of this G6 is great I jus got my semi annual check, oil change and even i got a free car wash!! :D

·
Registered
199 Posts
With the kind of mileage you guys are seeing with the 4cyl you should have just paid extra for the 6cyl. I have yet to see anything below 27mpg on the DIC and I wouldn't say I baby it at all. That includes 4-5 minutes of warmup time in the morning before the drive to work. In the summer I expect that to climb back up to 31-32mpg just like I was getting last summer.

Note: I reset the DIC MPG about every 2-3000 miles to get a more accurate reading than those that reset it every time they fill up.

·
Registered
73 Posts
G6~Mike said:
With the kind of mileage you guys are seeing with the 4cyl you should have just paid extra for the 6cyl. I have yet to see anything below 27mpg on the DIC and I wouldn't say I baby it at all. That includes 4-5 minutes of warmup time in the morning before the drive to work. In the summer I expect that to climb back up to 31-32mpg just like I was getting last summer.

Note: I reset the DIC MPG about every 2-3000 miles to get a more accurate reading than those that reset it every time they fill up.
I would of if I purchase my G6 now cuz the prices came down !

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i'm leaving the DIC as-is for as long as i can stand. i'm not hurting to do math at each fillup, and want a running tally of my mileage.

i don't think the v6 is worth the extra price if all you want is a 4 door car. i wasn't looking for anything powerfull, my last car was as fast as a G6 GTP, if not faster. i was looking for a decent family car and that's that.

considering after all is said and done we only paid just under 14k for our G6, i'm happy. any v6 would have put it up another 3k, and to me that's not worth it.

i drive hard in rush hour daily, and drive hard out of rush hour as well, regularly making passes on the freeway, and i've yet to see the DIC go under 21 so far. it did drop heavily when we got a cold spurt for the past week or so, other than that it's been above 23 without a complaint from 'er.

i'll go out on a limb and say that while the ecotec in this car doesn't give it huge advantages in gas mileage, i'm pretty sure that those getting better gas mileage than i am in the v6 1) have the base model, not GT, and/or 2) do not drive like me.

like i said, at LEAST 1 hour in rush hour daily, going from 0-15/20-0 every few seconds, without letting a gap get between me and the guy/gal in front of me, and i'm usually cruising well over 80 on the freeway when i do get open roads.

while the G6 is heavy, and the i4 isn't quite suited to the weight, necessitating high gear ratios, the price difference to me/us was huge, and the performance difference is hardly worth the cost. the only reason i'd opt up to a better model would be for luxury options, or to get the GTP.

other than that i'm totally happy with the car, haven't had an issue yet (knock on wood), and can't get it to go below what i was averaging with my other car when i drove it nice no matter how i drive.

so for those considering BOTH the v6 and i4, take a look at the i4 if you're not looking for the extra bells and whistles, as it's nicely equipped in 1SV form, but i will agree that if you're looking at the base 4cyl, get the base v6, there's only a 1k or so price difference, and the 4cyl is only worth the cost savings if it's the bare bones model like i've got. so i'll agree with the other posters there...

so much for my novel, but averaging it out, the 3500 is not an engine to get for performance reasons, and i'll be willing to bet that the ecotec has more potential once the VVT gets sorted through by the aftermarket.

getting a G6 and want performance, get a GTP don't waste your time with the 3500. looking for a family car and don't require bells and whistles, 1SV no questions. only thing i miss is the remote entry, but that'll be dealt with aftermarket due to everything being power anyways.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts