Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I have two little issues I was wondering if anyone had a solution for.

The first is the interior lights of my 2006 g6 don't come on when you open the doors, even when the switch on the light is set to "door" ...no idea how to fix that haha

Also, the center console with th heat/cool/vent/defrost/etc control knobs is very faded... the red backlit sections around the knobs that indicate the setting you're on is now a pale orange rather than a red. Is there any way to replace that faceplate? I haven't been able to find any online, but maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places or don't know the right name for it, haha. It's just the factory console, btw.

Any info on either of these problems would be so helpful! Thanks!

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The radio is fine. its just the plastic around the temperature adjustment knobs, not the screen. That lower half of the center console faceplate seems to be removable, but I can't find a replacement one anywhere so far. Also, the lights work when I manually turn them off and on, they just dont automatically turn off/on when the doors are closed/open so I dont think its the fuse.

· Professional geek
433 Posts
Does the trunk lamp work? And if I understand correctly, the dome and map lights will turn on using their local switches?

If so, does the radio stay on when you remove the key (Retained Accessory Power) and turn off when the door opens?

~ MattInSoCal

· Slick Black Pontiac
151 Posts
The bulbs in the climate control panel have a red "gel" cover over them that goes bad over time, it fades to a yellowish white.

I had mine apart when I replaced my stereo and tried to get new bulbs. So far I have had absolutely no luck finding this part. The best I've found was the whole control panel for about $50 on eBay. Downside is that those bulbs will have the exact same problem

Being the crafty type I decided to try to replace the bulbs with LED bulbs from Radioshack. The long and short of it is that yes the LED bulbs will work, but they don't look red either, and they're too dim to really see nicely unless it is pitch black midnight.:mad:

I spent way too much money on a handful of LED bulbs that don't do what I wanted so I'm recommending that you avoid going down that path. Plus, just getting the console out involves removing the Endcaps from both sides of the dash, The lower panels of both sides of the dashboard, the glove box, and the center console trim piece. Its a pain, I managed to scratch up the center console trim during the process so not only do my climate control lights not light up bright enough, I now have a very large and ugly scratch on the center console.

My sad recommendation is to either just deal with it being orangish white, or see if you can find new Gel caps.

By the way, removing the bulbs from their holders destroyed them so I can't even go back and I've never been able to find the same tiny bulbs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.