Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

I just recently ran into troubles with my 2008 G6 GXP after having it for 12 years.

Problem 1: car won't start after driving it (when it's hot). It won't even crank. The dash board comes on, radio etc. All work. Just no sound whatsoever out of the hood. When applying current directly to the starter motor, it will crank. Tried switching out relays to see if it's a faulty relay, no luck. Also changed the ignition switch without any difference. After letting the car rest for a couple of hours it will start at the first try. Hard to rely on a car like that when going out somewhere.

Problem 2:
For a couple of days now I can see the parking lights not working during the day time. The lights will come on once in drive or reverse, but stay off while in parking position, even when turning them on manually on the left side of the steering wheel. Turn signals etc work fine. I am not able to turn off the auto function. The light sensor in the middle of the dash board works fine since when covering it up lights will come on (even in park).

Any ideas regarding my issues will be appreciated, since the local GM dealership would love to charge the heck out of me for a diagnostic and probably would end up with a high estimate so they could offer me a new car.

Cheers, and as probably many on here too, I like my car very much, and it's been a pleasure to work through the issues for the last 12 years.

Chris

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,

Answering your first problem:

I had the exact same issue with my 2008 Malibu LS 1fl 3.5, there was a problem with the fuse box on the engine bay. The car would start when cold or colder weather, but as soon as the engine bay got warm it would not crank or start. Had to replace the whole fuse box to fix the problem.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Carlos, I can confirm that problem 1 was/is indeed an internal problem of the fuse box. Checking the ground pin of the starter relay it does not have connection to ground when the car/box is hot. My quick fix was to solder a wire to the pin that holds the ground of the starter relay and hook it up to ground directly, bypassing the faulty internal copper wiring of the fuse box. After soldering the wire I did not hook it up immediately, but waited until the problem presented itself again, then hooked it up to ground. Trying to start the car, the problem was gone... So yes, I guess in the long run a fuse box replacement will be the correct solution, then again, the bypassing ground wire doesn't hurt anyone I think, and might be a solution for other people too if they are dealing with the same issue.

Thanks again for the reply, very much appreciated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts