Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again,

Wanted to start a fresh thread here with a few troubleshooting questions.

The center brake light is out on my '08 GXP, and I'm wondering how best to troubleshoot it. If the unit is still "live" do I look for a blown fuse or something? Can I use a circuit tester to check the unit/connection?

And - my car came without a keyfob so I bought one online - it is GM licensed/Genuine GM (unless the packaging is counterfeit). I've found some generic programming instructions (which I haven't tried yet), but I've also read that it absolutely has to be done at a GM dealership with specialized equipment. Feedback on this is appreciated.

Thanks everybody!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As I suspected with the keyfob - thanks.

The third brake light is inside the rear window, on top of the panel behind the rear seats. Looks like a bit of a chore to get to it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
yah the flob has to be programed at the dealer, usually bring the service guys in a coffee they will do it quick for free. also if you have a flob that just isn't working, you might need a insert. At my dealer this one 30 bucks and its a new board that goes over the current one after this my flob that didn't work came back better then new. If you need to program a key you can do that your self, once you get them to cut it you can program it, don't let them tell you different . If you need how to let me know ill put up

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yah the flob has to be programed at the dealer, usually bring the service guys in a coffee they will do it quick for free. also if you have a flob that just isn't working, you might need a insert. At my dealer this one 30 bucks and its a new board that goes over the current one after this my flob that didn't work came back better then new. If you need to program a key you can do that your self, once you get them to cut it you can program it, don't let them tell you different . If you need how to let me know ill put up
Well I'm taking the fob to a Chevy dealership tomorrow morning - I'll ask the fee then go from there. It's a brand new fob so it will need the full programming.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Ugh!! That's a total pain. I would pull it out and convert it to LED and replace the speakers. Then never bother with it again

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm pretty sure the brake light in the coupes window is LED which is nice. Mine also has a bunch of dust and dirt in it but it just doesn't look easily accessible to clean.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fob

The FOB was successfully programmed at the Chevy dealer yesterday - on 52 bucks - can't complain.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm pretty sure the brake light in the coupes window is LED which is nice. Mine also has a bunch of dust and dirt in it but it just doesn't look easily accessible to clean.
If that's true then the unit itself is probably working, i guess, meaning the problem is somewhere in the wiring/fuses, etc. which means a lot of troubleshooting. I suppose I could remove the unit and take it in and have it tested - that would at least tell me where I stand.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts