Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About once in every...10 or so times I try to start my car, it will roll over for about 2-3 seconds and then finally start. Although, yesterday it did it 3 times, and once when it started my car didn't feel like it started right(it was rumbling and shaking a bit), but that is the only time that has ever happened. Lately the issue with starting has been more frequent and I was wondering if it was the starter or the battery. Also if it is the starter, if I could find a starter for less than 160 which is the price at my local auto parts store. Thanks.
Jim

·
Registered
916 Posts
Ive come across threads like this for years. Ive had new starter, Spark plugs,battery, fuel injector cleaner. And Have had my engine tuned. None of these changed this from happening. Its really anoying i know... I can go all day or even a week with nothing then at the worst time it sounds like i have a POS beater LOL. Like some on will be like is that a Pontiac? Looks good then i start it and get imbaressed. Only thing I know is you can tap the gas and it will start right up. But its not good For the engine.
(05 V6)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Dont know if you found anything out yet, but heres something odd I found on mine. Mine had problems for a while starting when the engine is up to normal temp within a half hour or so after shutting it off. If say I went to the store for something quick and came out and tried to start it, Id have to pump the gas a little to get it to go. After it would start, sometimes it would stall, but usually rumble a little then idle properly. It would also rumble when it was cool, but most problems were when the engine was hot. I recently talked to a tech at the dealer and he said alot of them do it, to clean the throttle body with gum cutter or whatever else I had. I had the intake off to replace an injector last week, so while it was off I cleaned the throttle body with brake parts cleaner, it was all I had, and the car starts perfectly everytime now. Dont know if it would help your case but give it a shot. You can have the job done in under 45 minutes easily, probably under 30.

By the way, mine was gummed up pretty good. After cleaning out both sides I just moved the butterfly valve by hand and shot some more cleaner through it, very easy to do.

·
Registered
10 Posts
No problem, hope it works out for you.

All I did was take the intake duct from the air filter to the throttle body off, then unbolt the throttle body off the intake manifold. I believe there are 2 bolts and 2 nuts that hold the throttle body on, and then another nut that holds a bracket to the throttle body. There is a line that runs under it, and its a little tricky to pull the throttle body off. There are 2 studs attached the intake (where the 2 nuts are) so youll have wiggle and pry a little to pull the throttle body out.

Let me know the outcome of if you need more help.

·
Registered
916 Posts
So thought id throw some pics up of how dirty the throttle body was.
After years of bizzare starting issues - I havent had a single problem and the car starts like new again. Thanks so much for sharing the fix. I still cant believe its fixed.

Took the hole TB of

Very dirty

After some 4 dollar TB cleaner from autozone.

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Hmm maybe ill take a look at mine when i have the chance. can't believe it was that dirty. Thanks for posting pics!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Were is the third bolt located to remove the throttle body there are two screws on the top from what I see in the picture and then the screws on the bottom that looks like the throttle body slides onto them?

·
Registered
916 Posts
thats correct then there was one more bolt attached to the same bracket that the coolant line is attached two so there are 3 on the bottom side. Hardest part is getting the coolant line moved enough to get the Tb off. No need to discounect the harness or anything it will have enough room to move around. But i put towels under it cause the build up literally washes away with the cleaner and will just get over everything i used like 15 paper towels.

EDIT there are 2 bolts at the top with black washers
then 3 nuts at the bottom.:eek:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Daniel thanks so much for the advice and well pictured pictures! Taking it into the shop today to clean the Throttle Body and I hope to have the same results you do. Cause one month ago I brought my 6 in for service and had the injectors cleaned it helped for a few weeks but the problem slowly returned !

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Do you find the car the accelarates smoother or runs better Daniel?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Daniel the Throttle Body on my G6 was cleaned by my mechanic today I just got her back and had to run me some errands the car starts right up on a hot start thank you so very much for the pictures and excellant advice hopefully the clean Throttle Body will stay clean for a while !

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.