6K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  WJT 
#1 ·
so I have a 2005 Pontiac g6. right now it has a four-speed automatic
transmission however it is on its last leg so I will need to replace the
transmission. I do not want another automatic though. I would like to put a
manual transmission in. I am trying to do my research because I don't know
a whole lot about transmissions but from what I know the only g6s made in
manual are from 2007. so my question is if I found all the parts required for
the switch in a 2007 manual g6 would they all fit and work in my 2005 G6? Thank you.

#2 ·
I don't think so.
The complete swap would be the transmission, the wire harness for the bay, (as the trans sensor harness is integrated), the clutch lines and brackets, swap the pedal assembly, and whatever is involved with the console and shifter hardware.
As for the PCM, and the programming, you might be able to swap and reflash, not sure.
Unless you have tons of time and money, finding an equipped car would be a better choice.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

#4 ·
This has been a dream for me as I would much prefer a standard trans in my G6. The truth is, the sister car to the G6 is the Opel Astra - and it came on stick in the EU. Maybe those parts would ft. It never came with a 3.6 or 3.9L engine in Germany though, 2.4 or smaller only.

It looks as if whoever goes down this road is all alone in their endeavor. I for one would salute the only person in the USA with a V6 G6 on stick.

#6 ·
The truth is, the sister car to the G6 is the Opel Astra
No, the sister car is the Opel Vectra, not Astra. And the Saab 9-3.

If you want a manual trans, you can find them. Here is one for sale, and cheap:

All you need is a lot of money, skill and time. Piece of cake. And you'll end up with a car worth close to nothing.

#5 ·
There was a manual transmission option on the G6 through '07 (GT & GTP coupes/sedan w/3.9 engine. No convertibles). Not many were built and good luck finding a parts car. Every now and then one shows up on CraigsList locally. I read somewhere here that there was one successful conversion many years ago. Engine and transmission changes became very messy since OBDII when the electronics became so formidable. Good luck.

#7 ·
Doesn't this look like the G6 convertible? More so than the Vectra.

Holy crap! What a find. That's amazing. I would pull the trigger right now on that trans, if I had the wherewithal for all the rest of the components. That will probably end up more than the trans itself.

You are right, the car is not going to pique the interest of any collectors. These are not valuable cars. But you can buy the same amount of smiles with them for cheaper than you can anything from the other side of the pond.

#11 ·
Wow.... Lots of stuff up in the air, here.
To the original post.... What engine do you have now?
A 3.5 or 3.9 will bolt up to the F40 6 speed used in the... 3.9 GTP(?)
The 3.6, which was not available with a manual, will require the F40 that is bolted to the 2.8 turbo, which came in the Saab 9-3.
Any 4 cylinder? I can't speak to those, but they do have a different bolt pattern than any of the V6 engines.

Me? I have a 2010 GT with a 3.5. May consider swapping to a 3.9, because they're essentially the same engine.
If I do that , I'll possibly (wet dream stuff, here) be doing an F23 trans or (more likely) a New Venture T550 from a 94 Cavalier.
The T550 is essentially the same trans as the Getrag 282 5 speed used since late '86, but the differential gears and some other stuff have been greatly strengthened.
It also has a hydraulic release bearing similar to the F40 and F23.
(FWIW... I have a T550 bolted to a 4.9 Caddy V8 in a Fiero, and it has held up nicely.)

The down-side of the F23? The gearing.
Any F23 available that will bolt to a 3.5 or 3.9 (which is the one that came from the 2.2 OHV Cavalier) will have 3.91 FDR gearing. Not ideal for a 3.5 or 3.9.
There is some mix-matching that can be done, that involves swapping bellhousing cases, and trans cases, but it's a complete pain in the ass. Do-able, but more trouble than most people here will want to deal with.

The F40? If it came from a G6 GTP/GXP, it will bolt straight to any GM pushrod 60 degree V6, including our 3.5 and 3.9s. If you can find a wrecked/donor car, you're golden. The downside is that replacement clutches are stupidly expensive. They also usually want you to replace the (dual mass) flywheel. Replacement flywheels are also available from the aftermarket, but again... stupidly expensive.

Sorry for the long, rambling post, but I've watched people do this sh!t with Fieros for years, and have a pretty good idea of what works and what doesn't.
(I also own a 2010 G6 GT, and am always looking for something interesting to do with it, so I'm here with ya'. :) )

If you have any specific questions, shoot me a message. I will tell you what I know and what I don't. I have nothing to gain by BS'ing you. If I don't know, I'll tell you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.