Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone thinking of purchasing a 05 G6 GT, here is my review:

I've had my G6 for about 8 months. I purchased it with 94k miles on it, it nwo has 99k. It has the GT package, monsoon radio, 6 CD changer, sunroof, spoiler, chrome wheels, XM radio, all weather floor mats, the whole package. I am absolutely in love with this car. It is definitely a head turner and its FAST.The only things that really bother me about this car are the following:

1. If you read other reviews, most of them say that the G6 is rattly and loud. This is definitely true. My car is extremely rattly and is loud when the sunroof is open. As long as you turn the music up, you really don't notice. ;)
2. I had my catalytic converter malfunction at 97,000 miles. It now makes a very loud noise under the hood. I don't believe this is a common problem. It does not contribute to any actual mechanical problems, it's just more of an annoyance. G6s do have a recall warranty on the converters up to 80k miles.
3. My struts (I think, looking into a second opinion) are going out and it's causing my car to be extremely shaky and loud when going over any size bumps. This is one of my biggest dissatisfactions with the car thus far.
4. I need a new steering collumn. There is a clunking everytime I turn my wheel. This is a common problem in G6s.
5. The paint on the radio is chipping. This is also a common problem.
6. You have to hand wash your wheels if you get the chrome wheels otherwise they will chip if you take them through an automatic carwash. This is kind of an inconvenience. (You can find it in your owners manual that you are not supposed to take your car through an automatic car wash with chrome wheels.)

Other than that, this car is a blast. It is a middle of the line GM product and because of that its a little less sturdy than some other cars I've owned, but I definitely will not trade it for anything else until I've ran it into the ground. :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Let me add to your review don't get me wrong I absolutely love my G6. However I have found you will find all of its issues before you hit the 100,000 mark. So far I have had a blown head gasket(common on a G6), the switch between the automatic and manual shifter in my transmission go out, a gas vapor leak, fuel pump replaced and faulty speakers. However I think once it all gets fixed it will be a fine car. However I do not know if its because this car was driven extra hard before I got it or if its just a defective car but I have had to fix more on this car then any other Pontiac that I have owned.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Thanks for the review. I think with a little TLC you could resolve most of those issues. Also, I have chrome wheels and don't have any chipping after many automatic washes. Only thing I could imagine is chipping from the wash after some initial damage such as rubbing a curb.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Let me add to your review don't get me wrong I absolutely love my G6. However I have found you will find all of its issues before you hit the 100,000 mark. So far I have had a blown head gasket(common on a G6), the switch between the automatic and manual shifter in my transmission go out, a gas vapor leak, fuel pump replaced and faulty speakers. However I think once it all gets fixed it will be a fine car. However I do not know if its because this car was driven extra hard before I got it or if its just a defective car but I have had to fix more on this car then any other Pontiac that I have owned.
does that really make sense? having all those problems before even reaching 100k miles isn't the mark of fine cars...kind of a mystery why GM products are still at this level of quality.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Just hit 100k in my 6 and never had any of those issues. Would imagine there are lots that haven't had issues. Also, I drive her hard and have a 100+ mile daily commute to work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts