Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 G6 GT squeals when I get up in the higher rpms. It come from under the hood so I'm thinking it may be the serpentine belt. This only happens around the 3,500 and higher rpms if I were to take off quickly and giving the car a good amound of gas. Taking off and staying under the 3,000 rpm range, there is no squealing.

Any ideas as to why my G6 is squealing and any solutions?

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,351 Posts
Mike.....your post count is 666. AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Belt is my guess. I had a caravan that did that and it was the tension pully.
It just went bad and squeeled. I was spraying WD40 on it to which didnt work. lol

Replaced it and the problem was gone.

Can you have someone get the rpm up so you can locate the noise?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mike.....your post count is 666. AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Belt is my guess. I had a caravan that did that and it was the tension pully.
It just went bad and squeeled. I was spraying WD40 on it to which didnt work. lol

Replaced it and the problem was gone.

Can you have someone get the rpm up so you can locate the noise?
Well, the thing is that I tried to get the guy that was doing my oil change to look at it. In park or neutral, the belt won't squeal, but when in drive, it'll squeal.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the same exact problem, I always assumed it was the belt. It was very faint and almost sounded like a turbo spooling when I first got the car (obviously I knew that wasn't the case) but there was no driveability problems and still aren't any apparent. I feel like there may be a slight power loss at high RPM and a definite annoying sqeal. It only acts up past 4k RPM and sometimes doesn't happen at all. Possibly trying to tighten the belt tensioner? I just don't want to stress it if it's already on the way out...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts