Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lower strut pins are completely seized. COMPLETELY. Plenty of room to swing full length 10-lb sledge, and I swear neither one has budged even a hair.

I removed the stabilizer bar, and attempted pounding them out all the way down, while lifted at smallest incriments, w all upper mount nuts secured, and also loosened in different patterns. Over 150,000 miles and I'm pretty certain these are OEM struts.

I'm completely stuck w/out real torch access to blow them through.

I can cut them out and take the knuckle to a shop to have them blown out, but do not want to end up replacing more parts due to similar removal issues.

Any ideas on how to remove these w/out cutting them out and breaking everything down to remove knuckle?

It's a 2005 w camber pins, and impossible to get leverage on either head. Attempted both air hammer and manual hammer/chisel to make them spin w no success. I cut away the corrosion on both heads and literally cannot even identify the bolt from corrosion. Seems like aluminum:steel + Ohio weather has galvanized the heads to the strut bracket.

I've done at least 20 of these jobs and never experienced anything close to this issue. At least it's my own car. Any help is much appreciated. Running out of ideas. Thanks

·
08 convertible
200 Posts
I would try freeze spray. But it sounds like it might be beyond that. I would simply trash it and get a new knuckle. Depends on how much your time is worth.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts