Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 g6 2.4 and it wont start normally...lol

7/29/11 took hubby to work came back home and turned car off. Came out 30mins later and car wont start just clicks. Hubby checks it out and we can jump it and still wont start but while be jumped he can touch the solenoid with a wrench it will start. So we replace the starter ( since cant get solenoid separate) and after 185.00 later still wont start same thing. We have checked the alternator and it is fine. Does anybody have any ideas?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I have a 2006 g6 2.4 and it wont start normally...lol

7/29/11 took hubby to work came back home and turned car off. Came out 30mins later and car wont start just clicks. Hubby checks it out and we can jump it and still wont start but while be jumped he can touch the solenoid with a wrench it will start. So we replace the starter ( since cant get solenoid separate) and after 185.00 later still wont start same thing. We have checked the alternator and it is fine. Does anybody have any ideas?
Pull the batt & have it load tested. If it's OEM then it's time to just replace it.
Clean batt posts & terminals completely with sandpaper or wire brush.
Clean batt ground strap connection to the body.
Clean starter wire similarly.
Makes sure all these connections are tight.
Most likely this will solve it.

Starters on a 4 cylinder engine draw 130-150 amps directly from the battery, so all connections must be corrosion free & have 100% contact. Your starter is simply current-starved. Jumping through high-resistance connections won't work any better than using a fully charged battery through those same connections. The kind of corrosion that builds up on these connections is not apparent to most people because they don't know what to look for. You need to completely clean off any dark spots on the connections.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much!! The hubby had done some of that but not all and still had issues. Took the battery to parts store and it was dead. Bought a new one and I now have a running car again!!! Who would of thunk it!!

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
Thank you very much!! The hubby had done some of that but not all and still had issues. Took the battery to parts store and it was dead. Bought a new one and I now have a running car again!!! Who would of thunk it!!
It seems these days when a battery quits, it fricking QUITS!:eek:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts