Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2006 G6 with a 4 cylinder engine. Transmission is a 4T45E. Car has almost 170K on it. It will work fine in reverse but forward will not work. If i start the car cold, I can rev the engine up to about 2500 rpms and it will start to slightly move. After it is warm it will not longer even do that. I changed the filter and trans fluid with no difference. I put 7 quarts of trans oil in as chiltons says for a oil change.

If anyone has any ideas, i would greatly appreciate it. I am thinking i might need to go after the shift solenoids but i am not sure.

Thanks. Jeff

·
Registered
3 Posts
my mum has same problem. and i just registered just to reply.

a local transmission repair buddy said to pull pan and look for a broken line above the filter and yup there it is. He said its a very common issue but i cant seem to find it online or how to replace the line. its a steel/aluminum supply line and now that is broke, the transmission has no power to drive but reverse still works fine since its a different line.

·
Registered
3 Posts
another clue, seems the broken tubes are more common on the black cap transmissions. The lnes can be bought and replace in an hour or so by pulling the pan. Plan on needing about 8 quarts of fluid.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all of the replies. I am pulling the pan again to look at the lines. I will let everyone know what i find.

Jeff

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good call no694terry, pipe was broken right at the base. Gonna have it welded since the dealer wants $217 for a new one. Thanks a bunch!

Jeff

·
Registered
3 Posts
you mean broke like this? Seems to happen all the time but nobody know its a simple fix, they just replace transmission because mechanic said so, its a shame. We got the new tube from a local AAMCO for like 30 bucks and put it in. Mum's got her car back now and all is well. Carefull on the fluid, we measured what came out to put the same back in and it ws a little over 8 quarts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having a similar situation with my ‘06 G6. I was at a red light the other day and when the light turned green, the car just revved when I pressed on the gas (had the put it in neutral and push it off the road). The car works in reverse and will drive in the manual option but not when I put the car in “D” on the shifter. Is it safe for me to drive my car in manual drive until I can have it looked at in a few days. I should also mention that I am a woman with little knowledge about cars. My fear is that I get the car to a transmission shop and get my transmission replaced when it doesn’t need to be..ugh..HELP!!! As a single mother living paycheck to paycheck I cannot afford to get scammed..if anyone on here has some helpful advice I would greatly appreciate it..TIA

·
2007 gt retractable
285 Posts
in my opinion something broke in your trans.it shouldn't need rebuilding.it sounds like a valve body problem.since it works manually shifting proves the bands are still good.i would get it checked as soon as possible.just my opinion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you so much for your reply..I’m definitely not “mechanically inclined” and can’t afford to spend thousands on a rebuild. I have also never learned to drive a manual transmission car..I have noticed while using the manual option that sometimes when I accelerate from a complete stop while still in first gear, that the car will shake as if it’s having trouble in that gear..am I doing something wrong?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Two weeks ago my transmission stopped. I only had reverse after telling it to the shop was told we needed a new transmission. I have a 2005 G6 GT. I love my car after considering the miles that we have on it we decided not going to do it at this time just park it. We found this and a you tube video. My husband removed the pan, and yes there it was a broken pressure tube line my husband welded it got a new filter and Gasket and of course fluid. we are up and running.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'm having the same issue since yesterday. Came to a red light. Light turns green. Car doesn't go. The link cable under the hood seems to be ok...I am wondering if this might be my problem? My car goes in reverse and I can also use the manual mode to drive.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts