Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter bought this car and it intermittently will not start. Putting the gas to the floor does not seem to help. I have replaced plugs, wires, coil and ECM. Seemed good for a few days and then it happened again. I have went through all of the connections and checked the grounds. When trying to start it the engine smells like it flooded even though I am not pressing the gas to start it. It tries to turn over but does not start. I even sprayed with started fluid which would make it turn over and then died right away. Any ideas? She is a broke college girl that can’t afford a mechanic. Thank you!

·
Registered
141 Posts
A car that cranks and then fires briefly after using starting fluid usually points to a fuel delivery problem. A few tests to confirm this are pretty simple.
Listen at the fuel filler door as a helper turns the key to on for the fuel pump to run.
Place your finger on the fuel pump relay as a helper turns the key to on and feel for vibration, listen for clicking.
Test for fuel pressure with a gauge or carefully depress the schrader valve, wear safety glasses so as not to get sprayed with fuel, to see if fuel is present.
If your confident the relay is good but you see no evidence of fuel pressure , either by gauge or listening for pump, a likely problem is a failed fuel pump.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A car that cranks and then fires briefly after using starting fluid usually points to a fuel delivery problem. A few tests to confirm this are pretty simple.
Listen at the fuel filler door as a helper turns the key to on for the fuel pump to run.
Place your finger on the fuel pump relay as a helper turns the key to on and feel for vibration, listen for clicking.
Test for fuel pressure with a gauge or carefully depress the schrader valve, wear safety glasses so as not to get sprayed with fuel, to see if fuel is present.
If your confident the relay is good but you see no evidence of fuel pressure , either by gauge or listening for pump, a likely problem is a failed fuel pump.
I changed the relay and it was great for 2 weeks. Now today it won’t start and is stranded at the gas station. I hear the pump kick on. It did start and then died again and now won’t start

·
Registered
421 Posts
I changed the relay and it was great for 2 weeks. Now today it won’t start and is stranded at the gas station. I hear the pump kick on. It did start and then died again and now won’t start
Is the check engine light on? check for stored trouble codes with a scanner. IF you get code P1682, it's probably the fuse panel seeing that you stated that the relay was replaced 2 weeks ago.
Just responded to another thread of same sounding situation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is the check engine light on? check for stored trouble codes with a scanner. IF you get code P1682, it's probably the fuse panel seeing that you stated that the relay was replaced 2 weeks ago.
Just responded to another thread of same sounding situation.
I will check that out if I can get it started tonight. Thank you! No check engine light.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts