Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My G6 just turned 41k and the warranty has expired, and I just noticed the faint knocking sounds as the wheel returns to neutral and driving parking lot speeds.

As Ive been researching online; I'm pretty sure its the electric power steering box is crapping out.
I understand that this same issue was in the 05/06 Cobalts and there was a recall on those vehicles. The 05/06 G6/Malibu take the same units and have NOT been recalled yet. GM basically knows they screwed up becuase the following model years have traditional power steering.

I understand this is an $800 fix and I'm not gonna shell out that kind of money to replace a faulty part with another faulty part. So I want to know what steps I can take to get GM to fix this.
I don't want my power steering to fail when I'm on the highway and get in an accident. I don't think GM wants to be another Toyota after the country just bailed them out. So I beleive there is something that can be done.

·
Slick Black Pontiac
151 Posts
Actually you could blame this one on Toyota since they sold GM the electric power steering that is in your G6 and mine according to the service writer at the dealership.

Also, Price would have been around $580 if my extended warranty company hadn't decided to pick it up. (Only after a long and drawn out series of phone calls over about a month.) The part that must be replaced is not normally covered by the warranty but because the warranty was supposed to cover the steering pump and the car doesn't have one, they decided to pay for the repair.

Also, that clunking sound is the two halves of the telescoping part of the steering column. These need to be lubed better from the factory. I'm pretty sure you can find directions somewhere on here to lube them yourself.

As long as you're not getting the DIC Message "Power Steering" you should be fine.

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.