Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 92000 miles and still have my original shocks, is that normal or is that crazy?

Ps.... Does the 2006 g6 need to have a power steering flush? Im no mechanic, any suggestions would be great. I am taking the car in soon for its 100k maint.

· Registered
64 Posts
At 96k, i think your well past due for struts(front) shocks (rear). At 35k my two front struts were shot, hand compressed and they never pushed back out, also strut links(known to go bad i am told ever 25/30k). I am pretty sure the 06 is electric steering, might want to double check that.

When you replace your struts, order em online, much cheaper. I'd say a name but not sure I am allowed to (sponsor rules).

· Registered
470 Posts
On my trucks I generally go with Bilstein. On my Taurus and more than likely my G6 when the time comes, I'll go with Monroe. Well made, decently priced and I've had good luck with them in the past on other vehicles. No shock made will last a lifetime, so don't believe the marketing hype you read with lifetime warranty on parts. If it fails, and you take it back in, they'll replace the $40 shock at no charge, and charge you $125 in labour costs....

A PS flush is always a good idea, especially if the fluid is a very dark black. The sediments will settle toward the bottom, in the steering rack and the like. A brake fluid flush might also be worth considering if the the brake fluid is very dark and if it wasn't done during your last brake service as I imagine you do a bit of highway miles.

A good way to test for suspension components too, is to walk around the vehicle and place both hands on a corner. Push down on a corner. If the vehicle rebounds and stops right away the shocks are good. If the vehicle continues to bounce up and down, even very slowly, the shocks are long expired.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.