Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All! My husband owns a 2006 G6 GTP 3.9L Manual. We've been trying to find out as much as we can about this particular combination, but info seems hard to find. His Reverse gear is next to 1st, which according to some people is again, a weird/rare combo. Any info or guidance will help and is greatly appreciated! Im working on adding photos!

·
Registered
14 Posts
So what is your question? Having first next to you reverse just means that is a European transmission. This transmission actually originates from a Saab 9-3. simply pull up on the ring on the shifter while having the clutch fully depressed and it will go into reverse. Also it serves as a ignition lock out the car must be in reverse to remove the key. I also have the same combination it is definitely rare on a G6 and it was only made for 2 years maybe 3 .then all went automatic .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, I just bought a 2007 G6 3.9L 6 speed manual. As mr.sandman said you have to shift to Reverse to get the key out then when the key is removed it locks the trans in Reverse. There is a cable and lever on the right side of the shifter down in the console, the previous owner had disconnected it to disable this feature. I re-attached it for now, at least until I understand why they disconnected it.

My OE shift knob has all the leather peeled from it, just plastic now. New OE knobs seem expensive, but havent found aftermarket shifters with a smooth 16mm bore. Has anyone seen them?

·
08 convertible
328 Posts
See if a knob for another GM car might fit. I doubt GM would make a special shifter just for the G6. I'm thinking Cobalt SS or Saab 9-3. I know Momo made a nice one for those cars.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Okay.... Your 6 speed is known as an "F40". The only vehicle it was available in with the V6 is the G6 / Malibu platform (and I'm not too sure about the Malibu.)
It's a very sturdy transmission. A lot of the Fiero guys are bolting it to V8 engines (especially the LS4) for "frankenstein" engine swaps. I have only ever heard of one breaking, and that was used in a turbo'd V6 Fiero swap. It was a salvage yard trans, and may have already been damaged before the swap, so I wouldn't read a lot into the breakage.
It uses an odd "dual-mass" flywheel, that is no longer available from GM, but is available from the aftermarket. It's hellishly expensive, however. (As the story goes, flywheel replacement is recommended when the clutch is replaced.. Take that for what it's worth.) Clutches are available from several manufacturers.
If you have any specific questions, I will try to answer. I don't own one of these, but have read about them extensively. If I don't know the answer, I will tell you. I don't have anything to gain by BS'ing.
I hope you enjoy your ride. A manual trans is the only thing I wish my G6 had.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The G6 was available in 2006 and 2007 with the manual trans, and only with the 3.9L motor. It is the F40 RPO code, as mentioned before, and the Saab used a version of it with the 9-3 as mentioned, but behind a 4 cyl. The Malibu did NOT come with a manual option, only the G6. There was a gear redesign from 2006-2007 to fix an issue with 3rd gear I believe. There was a time when you could buy the 2006 transmissions new on ebay for <$300, which many fiero guys did.

·
08 convertible
328 Posts
The F40 was used in the 2006 and up Saab 9-3 Aero with the turbo V6 as well, not just 4 cyl.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Okay.... Your 6 speed is known as an "F40". The only vehicle it was available in with the V6 is the G6 / Malibu platform (and I'm not too sure about the Malibu.)
It's a very sturdy transmission. A lot of the Fiero guys are bolting it to V8 engines (especially the LS4) for "frankenstein" engine swaps. I have only ever heard of one breaking, and that was used in a turbo'd V6 Fiero swap. It was a salvage yard trans, and may have already been damaged before the swap, so I wouldn't read a lot into the breakage.
It uses an odd "dual-mass" flywheel, that is no longer available from GM, but is available from the aftermarket. It's hellishly expensive, however. (As the story goes, flywheel replacement is recommended when the clutch is replaced.. Take that for what it's worth.) Clutches are available from several manufacturers.
If you have any specific questions, I will try to answer. I don't own one of these, but have read about them extensively. If I don't know the answer, I will tell you. I don't have anything to gain by BS'ing.
I hope you enjoy your ride. A manual trans is the only thing I wish my G6 had.
Would you have any idea where I might find another shifter assembly (including housing) for a 2007 G6 GT.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I know that some other G6s came with manual transmissions, but not sure if they were the 6 speed. If so, that would be my first guess. You might try searching for one from a Saab 9-3. That seems to be the most similar platform. Some of the newer GM cars continue to use the F40, in various configurations. You might try those, too.

Edit - Go to car-part.com
Create a search for "2007" (the only year that seems to find this part) "Pontiac G6" and "shifter". I base my searches according to distance from my zip code.
When the next page comes up, click "manual" (at the bottom of the list.)
I found exactly one, in Oklahoma.
I also did a search for the G6 F40 trans, and found several pages of them. I suspect that if you called the yards who had the transmissions, they'd also have the shifters, assuming they still had the cars. (I suspect they don't list the shifters, as they don't seem to be a really popular replacement part, at least in the Fiero world.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Raydar, or anyone, does anyone know why Pontiac would choose an engine combo like that? (Not sure if that's a silly question or not, but I figured there's gotta be some reason for it). Why not turbo-charged or blower? Also Raydar, did you have a specific resource you read from?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Raydar, or anyone, does anyone know why Pontiac would choose an engine combo like that? (Not sure if that's a silly question or not, but I figured there's gotta be some reason for it). Why not turbo-charged or blower? Also Raydar, did you have a specific resource you read from?
Never a silly question, if you don't know the answer. :)
Which engine combo are you asking about? The 3900 and the F40? Welllllll... To tell you the truth, I don't have a clue as to why GM does anything that they do. Ever. Somewhere, it probably has to to with the $$$ - both for development/implementation and warranty concerns.

The 3900 was much simpler than the 3.6 DOHC (which is reputed to have timing chain issues) and only gave up about 12 HP, so there's that.
The F40 was because GM still cared that people wanted manual trannies. (No longer the case.)
The 6th gear was for fuel mileage considerations. If I were to go nuts and swap a manual into my G6, it would be a five speed. But fuel mileage is not at the top of my list.

Boost (turbos and blowers) is expensive to implement. Especially on "garden variety" cars, which ours are. Sorry, but it's true, no matter how much we love them. They replaced the Grand Am, after all.
There were no 3900 engines with either blowers or turbos in the pipeline, and weren't ever likely to be. Development costs bunches of $$$, and the ~60 degree separation between the cylinder banks doesn't leave much room for a blower, anyway.
(I understand the 3800 supercharged was killed for emissions reasons, BTW. So maybe blowers weren't the wave of the future, in GM's eyes.)

With that said, there is an engine that is an "evolution" of the LY7 - i.e. "our" 3.6 DOHC. It's called the LF3, and comes in some Cadillacs (See where I'm going with this?) It's a 3.6 DOHC twin turbo. Makes 420 HP. I know a guy who is swapping one into a Fiero as I type this. He's about 75% completed.
(I know another Fiero guy who has thousands of miles on an LS4 swap. It's a thing of beauty, and stone reliable.)

By the way... Fiero stuff is where I have gained most of my info from. Fiero people are certifiably insane. But there are some supremely talented people who play with them. I just try to watch, and learn all I can. The cool thing is... most of the technology is directly interchangeable with the G6, and most other FWD GM cars.
I can post links to the madness, if you'd like. I don't know if the mods would object, but they may. Regardless... there is a wealth of info out there.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You're good Raydar. No objections. We can always use more info.
Cool! Thanks for that.
If anyone objects to any of these, please let me know, or delete.
As always... Take any info that you see with a grain of salt.

60 degree V6 FB group

60 degree 3x00 Fiero swaps. FB group (Mostly Fiero centered, but lots of good info and mechanical eye candy)

This is the Fiero Forum that I haunt.
(As a matter of protocol, I hate to link to another forum in a forum, but there's lots of info there. They also have a search engine.)
If you use Google and want to search for LZ9, for example, on that site, type site:fiero.nl LZ9

There are plenty of others. I can come back and add more links, later. Gotta go to work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts