Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All! My husband owns a 2006 G6 GTP 3.9L Manual. We've been trying to find out as much as we can about this particular combination, but info seems hard to find. His Reverse gear is next to 1st, which according to some people is again, a weird/rare combo. Any info or guidance will help and is greatly appreciated! Im working on adding photos!

·
Registered
11 Posts
So what is your question? Having first next to you reverse just means that is a European transmission. This transmission actually originates from a Saab 9-3. simply pull up on the ring on the shifter while having the clutch fully depressed and it will go into reverse. Also it serves as a ignition lock out the car must be in reverse to remove the key. I also have the same combination it is definitely rare on a G6 and it was only made for 2 years maybe 3 .then all went automatic .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, I just bought a 2007 G6 3.9L 6 speed manual. As mr.sandman said you have to shift to Reverse to get the key out then when the key is removed it locks the trans in Reverse. There is a cable and lever on the right side of the shifter down in the console, the previous owner had disconnected it to disable this feature. I re-attached it for now, at least until I understand why they disconnected it.

My OE shift knob has all the leather peeled from it, just plastic now. New OE knobs seem expensive, but havent found aftermarket shifters with a smooth 16mm bore. Has anyone seen them?

·
08 convertible
200 Posts
See if a knob for another GM car might fit. I doubt GM would make a special shifter just for the G6. I'm thinking Cobalt SS or Saab 9-3. I know Momo made a nice one for those cars.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts