Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i found nothing specific to this, so i figured i'd post here inviting anyone with an '06 G6 with steering issues (lockup) to post their experience.

so far it seems as though this is a non-issue, but if you've had it happen, prove me wrong...

·
Registered
142 Posts
I havent had any steering lock up... but I would be curious to see if anyones experianced any difference in steering, sometimes wheel turns with no effort, others alot stiffer? But definatly not locking up happening here!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had the stiff to loose steering thing going on. Also locked up on me once. Stealer replaced the power steering motor. Just got it back yesterday...will have to wait and see if it gets any better.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Githianki - make sure to keep us posted on details.

just not liking the sound of the steering lock up...

also, to those that do have issues (hopefully not many), what engine? i'm mostly curious to see if it's an issue with the 2.4 or not, but i guess only time will tell...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a GT Coupe and the only steering problem I had was when it is really hot outside, the steering would make a wierd sound when I turned. Like a muffled whale mating call is the best way I can describe it... LOL.

·
Registered
67 Posts
that sound would be a typical sound when power steering fluid is a little low...:D but this is a very old thread as well ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2006 G6 GT with 39K miles. There is a clunking / popping noise when turning in both directions at low speeds. (seems to come from the left side) I took it to the dealer and they replaced the left tie rod. After picking up the car the noise is still there. I suspected the CV joints at first, but after reading the forums I think it could be the rack and pinion. I am taking it back to the dealer on Monday. I have not experienced the “locking” up of the steering. I am a little worried since I am suppose to drive home for thanksgiving and have to go through the mountains. I will post a update when I hear back from the dealer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
normal...

I used to sell cars for Enterprise and noticed that many GM cars like the Malibu, Impala, and Grand Prix all doing that popping sound/steering feel issue. I sold a Malibu to a customer who complained about it and took it to a dealership who said it was normal. C'mon we all know it isnt! I did find out that there is a bullitin on this, but you have to pay to have the work done. What work needs to be done is beyond me. I wish it was a recall so then GM pays for the issue.

I have a 2005 G6 that does the same thing and has 98k on it already! I would'nt worry about that for your drive home on turkey day.

But I will say that my power steering wend off right in the middle of driving a curvy 45mph road and freaked me out. I pulled off the road, and noticed the car with the wrench light icon on my dash was lit. I turned the car off and waited about 5 minutes. I turned the car on and viola...problem gone. I'm very nervous about that because if it happens again that could be a major accident. I called my mechanic at Firestone (dont laugh) and he said it could be a loose belt so stay tuned. I'll post what he finds out..... I did see the article about the investigation of this happening also....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Power Steering Issues

Hey yall.. I have a 2006 G6 GT... When I bought the car I noticed that my steering wheel was turning to the left when it would start up.. All of a sudden I started having trouble with the power steering. The light would come on saying the powersteering was low.. Now I cant even drive my car. The steering wheel will lock up as soon as I start the car. I have been looking for recalls and other things about it and I have came to this. They have had 19 reports on 06 G6's with power steering problems. They have had 2 crash's and 1 injury. If you are having the same problem you can go to www.nhsta.dot.gov and file a complaint. They havent had any recall's on it but they are saying that the fuse is getting hot. They say it is under investagation. If we all complain about this issue if you have it. They will recall this problem. If you have the same problem please post it and let everyone know.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Steering lock up - 2.4 G6 (2006)

My 2006 G6 with a 2.4 engine had a steering issue. The steering locked up with my wife driving the car. The steering quickly returned and a message was displayed on the stereo indicating the power steering had failed.

A new steering motor was fitted under warranty

·
Registered
30 Posts
my 06 v6 is in the shop right now with streering problems. i will start the car and try too turn the wheel and there would be NO power steering, driving down the road in a turn felt like there were dead spots in the power steering.
also i will get a thumping sound when turn the wheel

·
Registered
1 Posts
To All G6 Owners: The Thumping Sound When Turning The Stearing Wheel Is The Intermediary Steering Shaft. I Just Found This Out From An Honest Pontiac Dealer. Thank Goodness I Still Had My Warranty. It Is In The Shop Right Now For Repairs. Gm Has Not Recalled This Problem Yet, So Send In Your Complaints To Assure You Will Be Covered. Save Someone From A Highway Injury Or Death, Spread The Word.

·
Registered
30 Posts
my 06 v6 is in the shop right now with streering problems. i will start the car and try too turn the wheel and there would be NO power steering, driving down the road in a turn felt like there were dead spots in the power steering.
also i will get a thumping sound when turn the wheel
got mine back today they replaced the steering shaft both upper tierods and one lower tierod they said this should fix the power steering problem....we will see....

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2006 G6 with a 2.4 engine had a steering issue. The steering locked up with my wife driving the car. The steering quickly returned and a message was displayed on the stereo indicating the power steering had failed.

A new steering motor was fitted under warranty
Have you had any problems with this since then? My fiance's car lock's up BADLY when she's going 45-55 mph!!! This has happened a few times now, Pontiac fixes it...still does it, there's a bulletin out about it now.....tomorrow i'm dropping it off and giving them the keys, if they don't buy the car back, i'm calling my lawyer.............
/rant

but has anyone had this problem?

·
Registered
3 Posts
steering clunk

To All G6 Owners: The Thumping Sound When Turning The Stearing Wheel Is The Intermediary Steering Shaft. I Just Found This Out From An Honest Pontiac Dealer. Thank Goodness I Still Had My Warranty. It Is In The Shop Right Now For Repairs. Gm Has Not Recalled This Problem Yet, So Send In Your Complaints To Assure You Will Be Covered. Save Someone From A Highway Injury Or Death, Spread The Word.
had the same problem,dealer replaced steering shaft,i put another 4000 km,started clunking again,put in another steering shaft

·
4.6 Interceptor
47 Posts
Fisx It Yourself (read)

had the same problem,dealer replaced steering shaft,i put another 4000 km,started clunking again,put in another steering shaft
I had on my wife's 2005 G6 GT last year (12 months ago) replaced by dealer steering shaft & rack/ pinion due to clunk/ thump noise at low speed turning.

So here I am after 12 months with same issue again, so I figured to look at it myself and see where the GM engineers srew it up ...and was I surprised what I saw :(.

1. U joint at the end of the steering shaft (engine compartment)was dry and causing then portion of the clunk ...but the joint itself was ok with no free play in it...so I took multy purpose automotive grease and apply nice coat over the U joint while working with steering left n right.

2. Steering shaft joint under the steering wheel (indermidiate shaft) where one slides into another ...had residue of dried out "white lithium grease". I sprayed "teflon" lubricant at the seam while working steering left/ right so it could evenly run inside the shaft.

Those two (2) points were causing the clunk noise ...it was 10 min of my time and the problem is gone for few month's.
I would recomend all of you guys to do the same thing and follow up once or twice annualy.

Good luck

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have an 07 GT. I got a new steering shaft and my dealer said everything was good. When I get up to 60-65 mph, I can feel my steering wheel shake. No idea why

·
4.6 Interceptor
47 Posts
I have an 07 GT. I got a new steering shaft and my dealer said everything was good. When I get up to 60-65 mph, I can feel my steering wheel shake. No idea why
you might need tire balance ...and wheel rotation?!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts