Pontiac G6 Forum banner

2006 G6 Tranmission Jerking Harshly

21K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  CHAZ666 
#1 ·
Anyone have this issue ? I took the car to the dealer. I had shifting problems, the transmission would jult really bad when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. Took it to the dealer. They replaced some kind of sensor in the transmission, they also adjusted the shift points because they said they were a little off. After 1 month now, its kicking and doing the same stuff. Today also the check engine light came on and its shifting and jerking hard. 43,000 miles all highway, 3 years old ? anyone with any help ? I am going to take it back to the dealer. But why the problem ?

#2 ·
When the transmission controller senses something wrong, it goes into a "self preservation" mode.....instead of all shifts occuring over the desired 0.5 second span, the system pressure is sent to max, and all the shifts will occur harshly (which is actually better for the internal parts than way too sloppy). Had this happen on my 2001 Bonneville....could be as little as a defective sensor, or something a major as a transmission meltdown (like in my case!) You should see the dealer right away (and think about selling the car before the warranty runs out!)

#3 ·
Shifting Problems

I too am having problems with my 2006 G-6 Sedan. It's very intermitted and seems to stop once I let the car sit for awhile. The porblem is that the car would also jult very hard going into the different gears. Also the check engine light is on when this happens. If I shut off the car and restate a few minutes later, it seems to clear up. Leading me to believe that I have a computer problem. Does anyone agree?

I got over 50,000 and no warranty, so I really don't want to take into the shop without having some idea of what might be wrong.

Thanks

#4 ·
G6 Transmission

Benno,

I have been having the same problem. I currently have 47,000 miles on my G6. It has been doing it since about 28,000 mile mark. I have a warrenty on mine up until 75,000 miles. But I am getting no where with the dam dealer. Loughead Pontiac in Springfield Pa keeps telling me, Oh the G6 has the best transmission and we never had any problems. Blah Blah Blah, we plug it up to the scanner and can't find anything. They found 1 error code the one time, told me it was a bad shift sensor of some sort in the transmission, replaced it and set the shift points and I would be good. Lo and behold about 2 weeks later it was doing the same crap. Called up the dealer again, oh bring it in, not only was it shifting and making all this dam noises, i get a check engine light. I get it there, the light goes off, they plug it up again and say no error codes no nothing. Can't help you sir. What kind of crap is this. I can't help you, but oh let me let your warrenty expire, then we can do something for you. To this day, I have this problem and all they said, after I said I would get a lawyer because it has been 4 occurance, well you go do that and call GM and fight with them, since we cannot do anything unless we have an error code. What kind of mechanics are these. You don't need an error code to fix that, you try and pin point the cause. When the customer is telling you something, go and look for it.

I too am having problems with my 2006 G-6 Sedan. It's very intermitted and seems to stop once I let the car sit for awhile. The porblem is that the car would also jult very hard going into the different gears. Also the check engine light is on when this happens. If I shut off the car and restate a few minutes later, it seems to clear up. Leading me to believe that I have a computer problem. Does anyone agree?

I got over 50,000 and no warranty, so I really don't want to take into the shop without having some idea of what might be wrong.

Thanks

#6 ·
Bite the bullet and took my car into the shop, but not a dealer. They can't find anything wrong with the tranny other then a bad sensor. The julting was caused by bad wheel bearing on the front left.

I'll have to say that after 800 in brakes and rotors and now this, that I won't be buying another GM product anytime soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.