Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Was out running errands last night, great weather, the top was down, no apparent problems. Stopped at a light, touched the gas peddle on green, got about 20 ft. and the engine just died. No warning lights, no noises, no steam, no smoke, nothing. I was able to coast into a loading zone and had it towed to an AAA Certified Shop I've used in the past.

This morning I get a call telling me there is coolant in the oil, all kinds of grinding noises and that I have a blown engine.
Anyone here heard of this happening? All the gaskets appear to be intact. The oil plug is intact with no leakage. I have the service records from the original dealer dating back to 2006 that shows oil changes every 3,000 miles and all suggested maint. performed as scheduled.

I have an aftermarket warranty and that company is sending an adjuster to look it over tomorrow or Monday. not sure what they'll find, but I'm hoping I'm not getting stuck with the entire cost of an engine replacement.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I've been on this board for 6-7 years, and I've never read of a spontaneous failure like that.
The occasional rod knock, coolant leaks, electronic gear issues, but this is a new one.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know. The engine was so quiet and shutdown so fast I assumed it was an electrical failure. Retraced everywhere I parked and no coolant or oil on the ground. The shop got it to turn over. It ran for about 10 seconds, lots of grinding noises and smoke from the exhaust. Hopefully, I'll know more tomorrow or Monday. I'll post the findings once I have them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the car towed back to the dealership where I bought it. I don't have the exact cause of the failure yet, but after much wrangling by the service manager with the after market warranty company, the dealer is installing a brand new GM engine. Seems now the engine alone is worth more than the rest of the car.

Bought this back in Feb. 2018. It had 68K miles on it. I got it from the original dealership which is now Bucik/GMC. The original owner had the oil changed every 3k miles at the same dealership until he traded it in for one of the new Buick convertibles. It seemed like a no brainer purchase.

So anyway, the dealership comped the labor cost to have the engine taken apart before the warranty company would even inspect it. Then, the new engine exceeded the maximum payout of the policy so the dealership is covering the overage. To top it off, since there wasn't any money left in the policy to cover a rental car as specified, the dealership is letting me have a 2018 Buick Encore until the car is repaired. I have to say, unless something goes terribly wrong, I've never experienced anything like this at a car dealership. I'm really amazed and thankful up to this point.

I'll post again if I get any new information or when the repair is finally completed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
More than likely a piston rod broke probably due to metal failure within the engine. You dealer is pretty cool to help you out like that.

·
ASE expert
75 Posts
I worked in a radiator shop for a few years, I have worked and owned my own shop also. a piece of advice, get rid of the dex-cool coolant and put regular old green ethylene glycol. They have had no issues with that anti-freeze since the model A Ford. Then these big motor companies come up with their own proprietary blends and say your warrenty is not covered unless you use it. Well GM lost a major law suit about 15 years ago because there dex-crap turns to sand, eats gaskets and causes mostly on the Buick V6 engines (most GM have these regardless of make) the intake manifold gaskets to fail. Ask anyone who worked in a shop how many of these GM intake gaskets they have done because of Dex-cool. Also the courts ruled that you can use regular anti-freeze and not void the warranty as long as it is done on a regular schedule and not on the GM extended life coolant schedule. Trust me in 50,000 miles when the warranty is up on your new motor and its time to change the Sludge in your cooling system, your gaskets will probably just be starting to seep coolant ever so slightly. Go with the tried, tested and proven for over 100 years now. And PS, 50/50 coolant pre-mix is a rip off, buy the cheapest full strength coolant. Its all ethylene glycol and the pre-mix is HALF WATER. Why pay for what you can get from a faucet. oh here is my facts if anyone dont know, now you do... https://www.girardgibbs.com/dexcool/ https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/2488147-dexcool-litigation-whats-the-short-story.html https://www.autosafety.org/gm-dexcool-engine-damage-class-action/ and the actual court documents the 3.5 is just a version 0f the 3.1 and 3.3 l redone. Same motor, same dex-cool same problems.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, a brand new 3.9L from GM was installed at a Buick/GMC Dealership. It's the same dealer that sold the car new back in 2006.

I've attached a few pictures from when it first arrived. The total bill was $8080.61. The aftermarket warranty covered all but $1,286.61 of the cost and the dealership not only covered that, but gave me a free loaner for 10 days while they had the car. So, the warranty that I paid around $1,600 for is all used up and my total out of pocket expense was the $100 deductible.

Some of my friends laughted when I told them I bought a warranty, but that really saved me in the long run. There was no way I had $8,000 to put into a car that barely worth about $6,000 right now.

Yes, they used the Orange coolant. I'll discuss changing it out with them in about 1500 miles or so.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi.. just joined this forum as I just bought a 2006 G6 GTP Convertible with 68000 miles.
I had it looked at by "YourMechinc" before I bought the car. They told me the car needed $1700 in repairs. Owner and I came up with a fair price.. until I took it to my mechanic. His take on the engine pull it out and replace all the gaskets.. two struts.. tie rod was ripped.. power steering needs replaced and two new tires.. "YourMechinc" stated they would refund my $99 I paid for the pre inspection!
Anyway after reading the DexCool issue and the blown engine.. I am not as upset... thanks for sharing... oh my estimate for repairs... 5000.00 is it worth it ?? Car is in good shape a couple dings drivers seat needs recovered.. ??
Thanks all [email protected]

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi.. just joined this forum as I just bought a 2006 G6 GTP Convertible with 68000 miles.
I had it looked at by "YourMechinc" before I bought the car. They told me the car needed $1700 in repairs. Owner and I came up with a fair price.. until I took it to my mechanic. His take on the engine pull it out and replace all the gaskets.. two struts.. tie rod was ripped.. power steering needs replaced and two new tires.. "YourMechinc" stated they would refund my $99 I paid for the pre inspection!
Anyway after reading the DexCool issue and the blown engine.. I am not as upset... thanks for sharing... oh my estimate for repairs... 5000.00 is it worth it ?? Car is in good shape a couple dings drivers seat needs recovered.. ??
Thanks all [email protected]
Only you can determine what the car is worth to you. I just looked up the KBB trade in value and it's under $3,000 even in excellent condition. cars.com has only 6 2006 GTP convertibles listed nation wide and they range from $5,200-$8,900. There's no way anyone will pay almost $9k for a car this old. I like driving the car and as long as the top keeps working, I'll be happy. I used up my entire after market warranty on the engine, so if I get a several thousand dollar repair bill of any type, I'll consider selling the car, or may just the engine (it's only got about 10,000 miles on it). If you buy it, post a few pictures so we can all see it. G6 Convertible owners seem to be a disappearing population. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi thanks.. Will post pics when it gets out of the shop. Have seen some posts in other sites.. stating since the demand for nissans, hondas, toyotas has about taken care of the "good conditioned" entry level "sports rides" g6s etc are a another choice.. plus the hard top convertible.. makes this a bit different.. and " possible" collectable... but I am getting back in shape as my one way commute is 80 miles !! "Miles" well have fun on the two lane back roads :) thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts