Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so i bought a 2006 gtp sedan the other day thats supposed to be a 6 speed manual but it's not a 6 speed and is instead a 4 speed. I know GM never put a 4 speed manual in a g6 and a swap from a 6 speed to a 4 speed is rediculous to even think about much less do. I don't want to pull the tranny to understand why i dont have 6 gears cuz it's too much work and I'm not THAT worried about it but what am i missing here??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, so i bought a 2006 gtp sedan the other day thats supposed to be a 6 speed manual but it's not a 6 speed and is instead a 4 speed. I know GM never put a 4 speed manual in a g6 and a swap from a 6 speed to a 4 speed is rediculous to even think about much less do. I don't want to pull the tranny to understand why i dont have 6 gears cuz it's too much work and I'm not THAT worried about it but what am i missing here??
I also believe i have the European model given that reverse is on the left of first gear and is also the ignition key lock... I dont know much about this model and any information would be helpful.

·
08 convertible
200 Posts
What makes you think you have a 4-speed?

There is no such thing as a European G6. The same F40 trans was used in all versions of the Epsilon platform. G6, Saab 9-3 and Opel Vectra.

·
Registered
215 Posts
This is confusing, I can't even remember the last time GM used a four speed manual, the 90's?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Reverse 'is' to the left of 1st. Maybe someone swapped out the shifter knob? I can't think of any reason why. Have you tried to shift through the gears regardless of the diagram on the knob?
Post pictures.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The last GM FWD 4 speed manual that I know of was for MY 1985, in a V6 Fiero. Possibly other cars (like the Cavalier) too.
What a complete PITA that swap would be. You would have to source (and install) suitable axles, among other things. You'd also have to rewire the reverse lights, since the 4 speed had the reverse light switch on the shifter, instead of the transaxle.
Is it possible that you really have a 6 speed, and the select (side-to-side) cable is out of adjustment? That might preclude you from getting 5 and 6. Both of which are overdrive.
Please post pictures if you can. I am quite familiar with GM FWD manuals. Should be able to identify what you have.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts