Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The trunk lid started giving us problems about a year ago . When it started to lift , it would get stuck and you would help lift it and then the motor/gear? would engage and the top would complete it's cycle. Now we're getting no lift at all .I can open the trunk and see all the mechanisms but I'm not sure what or where to check first . I'm an RV tech and handy with wrenches, meter , etc. I need some help troubleshooting this one . It's getting warm and we want to use the top .Please help me keep the wife happy. THANKS !!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sounds like you don't use your top much. One thing I that I found out, you have to keep it cleaned and lubed, every hing, every pivot point, if something gets gummed up, and does not move smoothly your going have problems. My top is down more than it up. Once a month I lube all the hings. Droptop Diamond is correct, the top is electrically activate, and hydraulically actuate. All those (looking little bicycle brake cables) are hydraulic lines. But if you can't get the top to start to open, would start with the switch first, replaced mine twice now. Try wiggling the switch while depressed. Still don't like where they put that switch. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stuck Top

I didn't realize the mechanism was electro hydraulic . I'm going to try the switch wiggle method to get it up . Then look for leaks . Then clean and lube the mechanisms. Recomended cleaner and lube ?Thanks for the help .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK ..Found the reservoir . Its low . Know what kind of fluid it takes ?It's a blue color .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hard Top Fluid Type

GM Electro Hydraulic Power Steering Fluid Part # 88901975. This number can be crossed to various different sythetic oils .Gonna go fill it now .:bolt:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts