Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, just joined this forum to see if anyone can help. I have a 2006 G6 GT, 4 door automatic (if that matters). When i first start accelerating and i do not hold onto the steering wheel, the steering wheel will pull to the right to about the 10 oclock position (if it were a clock), also there is a popping noise when initiating turns coming from the steering wheel. After I hit 30 kmh the pull goes away and the car acts normal. Wondering if anyone has any ideas what it could be or if they have had this problem before?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would first look for play at the tie rod ends, linkages and suspension components up front. It happened to be a wheel hub assembly on a previous car of mine, check each wheel for play. Also check your tires for inconsistent wear. If the outermost edge on one front tire is not the same as the other, you may need to worry about struts and an alignment.

A popping noise is alarming, I am not sure what that could be, maybe rack and pinion, steering box? I wonder..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for replying! ive checked for all that you have said, again im no mechanic but all seems to be in order, no play with the wheels and no uneven wear on the tread.

·
08 convertible
297 Posts
Popping is likely intermediate steering shaft, if it always pops at the same turn angle. Steering pull is likely a bad lower control arm. But it's hard to diagnose over the internet and expensive to replace parts at random until you get it right. So if you can't figure it out for sure by yourself, it's better and cheaper to take it to a competent garage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts