Pontiac G6 Forum banner

2007 Convertible Trunk and Top Problem

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  boomer 
#1 ·
I just joined this group in the hopes of help fixing my deceased mom's beloved car. Her 2007 car only has 27,000 miles on it and remains in the family. The top and trunk problem occurred over a year ago and has been looked at by a few mechanics with no hope of fixing it. Any guidance and help with it would be greatly appreciated. The problem first started with the trunk not latching securely. Then the convertible top stopped midway when trying to close it and then wouldn't close at all. So it had to be manually disconnected to close the top. Brought it the GMC dealer where it was bought and they diagnosed it with having no hydraulic pressure, pump not working possibly caused by a switch. They couldn't fix it as they told me they couldn't get parts for it any longer. Another mechanic looked at it and tried to fix it and may have messed up one of the trunk latches as it severely bent as discovered by my brother-in-law who was at least trying to secure the trunk as water had gotten into it.
Along with this problem, the CD/radio doesn't work properly as I only can play AM stations and use the CD player and both the driver and passenger seats are rusted shut so that the backs can't lift up making it impossible for anyone to get in the back seats. Everything else is in good shape.
I love this car as it is a cool car and was my moms, but I need to decide if it is worth keeping and try to fix or should I let it go.
Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
To be fair, it sounds like the car has a lot of issues. You really have to ask yourself if you have the time and determination to work through them. The convertible top is reasonably complex and parts are hard to find. The rusted seats are also a bit of a worry - why did they rust and what else may have issues if there have been leaks. Also you have tried two shops without success which says to me that the fix may not be simple and that so far you have not been in a position to fix it yourselves. Paying shops to continue to look at it is unlikely to be cost effective. I guess it then comes down to how much time and effort it is worth to you to keep a car with high sentimental but fairly low actual value. Do you have access to local car parts yards and are you willing to comb through them for what you need etc.

I don't want to put you off as I plan to keep mime running as long as I can, but I have also had it for 6 years, learnt a fair bit about it and am happy doing a reasonable amount of self taught maintenance on it. Throwing good money at this may not be the best way to go.

Hope you come to a decision that works for you and welcome to the club. Just my opinion and I have little real info on the car or your situation :) Best of luck either way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.