Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new to this forum, so bear with on this one! I installed new rear brake rotors and pads on my 2007 G6 4 door. While using a large C-clamp to push the piston back in to the caliper, I broke off the large spring on the back side which is part of the e-brake, I believe. The brakes work fine, but I am not sure it will pass inspection and the e-brake may not be working properly. Is there somewhere I can find directions to replace this part and what special tools would I need? Thanks for the help!:)

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
The caliper is replaced as an assembly. It's covered in the Chiltons for G6.

From the service manual:

Notice: When using a large C-clamp to compress a caliper piston into a caliper bore of a caliper equipped with an integral park brake mechanism, do not exceed more than 1 mm (0.039 in) of piston travel. Exceeding this amount of piston travel will cause damage to the internal adjusting mechanism and/or the integral park brake mechanism.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
As greenman said you would need a new caliper assembly.
Fore future reference when replacing rear pads the piston in the caliper isn't just pushed in using a C-clamp. You need a square brake tool and the piston actually screws back into the caliper. That's due to a self adjusting e-brake setup. The E-brake may still work, but it is possible that it will not release fully on that wheel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey, thanks alot for the help! I think I will buy one of those cubes to screw in the piston and I will know better in the future!! I hope the pistons are all right in caliper... How would I know for sure if there was any damage? Would the brakes lock up or feel spongy or what? Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I don't understand the question. If the emergency brake lever return spring is broken the caliper needs to be replaced. The brake on that wheel will drag & you'll ruin the new pads & rotor.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Since you forced the piston back in, it probably spun the arm on the outside of the caliper, hence braking the spring. And as greenman said it will drag and ruin your nice break job, A new caliper is pretty much your only option

1 - 8 of 8 Posts