Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My top has been down for a week, i tried to bring it up and the first 3 attempts it did nothing. The 4th time it moved 1 inch. So now the trunk button wont engage and top is stuck in DOWN position. When i push the Up/Down button i can hear the motors winding for bout 6-8 sec. but nothing happens. It sounds electrical. My Dealership isnt the best and i'm reluctant to take it there. Any advice me me?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Get someone to read the top codes with a TECH2 or clone.
Pump energizes while the FTC checks that everything is good for a deployment, if not, no operation. Like 12-14 switches to self check. Failures will be stored in FTC.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
588 Posts
...and if it is not electrical you may also have a hydraulic leak. I had similar problems with the top trying to move and giving up when one of my cylinders failed. In my case the trunk would reverse open ok, but stop when it tried to raise the roof for a few seconds. With the aid of a couple of helpers I was able to have one press the up button whilst two others manually lifted the roof out of the trunk and put it in the closed position (taking care to ensure no people were harmed during the move). The car was able to complete the latching to secure the top. If you have a leak you may need fluid on hand to top it up for the cycle to complete. That may help you get the car more operational whilst you diagnose the problem further.

Hope one of our comments helps

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Boomer,
You were correct.....I went to move the car and saw the fluid on garage floor. So i do have a leak. Also I was unaware that there is any place to top off fluid???? How is that done? I like the idea of getting help to manually pull the top from the trunk but need to figure out how to pop the trunk open....??? Any thoughts. I guess if i could get it to shut the final 1 inch it wound lock in then the trunk button my become operational again.

·
Registered
588 Posts
The fluid goes into the top of the pump motor reservoir. The pump is under the large plastic side panel on the right hand side if you were looking into the trunk from the rear of the car. Pentosin CHF 11S is the fluid. Getting to the fill port is far easier with the roof out of the trunk.
To my mind, closing the roof in this state depends on how much is still working. On mine the trunk would still reverse open and my leak made it so there was not enough oomph to raise the roof. But with a couple of people, we could help lift and support the roof through its usual close motion so the hydraulics did not have to bear all the weight. There may be other possibilities depending on how far into the cycle yours will move. Hope this gives you some hints. Good luck getting it closed and eventually fixed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Boomer,
I do remember seeing that port years ago. I have a few guys that could help manipulate the top to the UP position but my trunk release button is inoperable. Guessing it was a safety issue, when TOP it NOT latched in place the trunk release button will not preform. I was hoping someone knew how to bypass that circuit. Ideas??

·
Registered
361 Posts
I was hoping someone knew how to bypass that circuit. Ideas??
Per Bulletin 07-08-67-010C, it seems that the decklid release switch could be bypassed and operated manually via a TECH2 or clone.
I am away from home, so I am not able to confirm with my unit.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
232 Posts
Per Bulletin 07-08-67-010C, it seems that the decklid release switch could be bypassed and operated manually via a TECH2 or clone.
I am away from home, so I am not able to confirm with my unit.
This is true. I've verified this functionality with my clone scanner. - Mark

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks davez26, i have scheduled a service with my GMC-Buick-Chevy dealer tomorrow. They have the TECH2 and said it will read my Pontiac. They also said they dont work on these tops any longer. I did purchase my G6 there, new off the lot in Dec 2007. Otherwise i dont think they would even talk to me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If the trunk isn’t partially reverse opened too far, you can make the computer “forget” it’s in an unsecured position by disconnecting (wait a few seconds) and reconnecting the battery. Then you can pop the trunk with the button. If you the trunk is partially reverse open then it’ll get all kinds of confused and make a clicking noise when you try to open trunk. I’ve done it and didn’t hurt anything trying. Note: disconnecting the battery will also make it forget the window positions and you’ll have to reset them By rolling each one up and down and holding switch a few seconds (instructions in the owner’s manual).

·
Registered
1 Posts
My top has been down for a week, i tried to bring it up and the first 3 attempts it did nothing. The 4th time it moved 1 inch. So now the trunk button wont engage and top is stuck in DOWN position. When i push the Up/Down button i can hear the motors winding for bout 6-8 sec. but nothing happens. It sounds electrical. My Dealership isnt the best and i'm reluctant to take it there. Any advice me me?
Don’t go to all the trouble of fixing it because it’s going to break again. Do what I did, or what my boyfriend did for me, through all the hydraulics away and turn it into a manual top. No more problems!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Don’t go to all the trouble of fixing it because it’s going to break again. Do what I did, or what my boyfriend did for me, through all the hydraulics away and turn it into a manual top. No more problems!
Not that I don't believe it could be done, but it does beg several questions. First, without the electrics or hydraulics, how is the roof latched and unlatched from the windshield header so it can be lowered and later re-secured? Next, how is the trunk unlatched and held open in reverse while the roof is moved? The roof assembly weighs a couple hundred pounds and isn't counter-balanced or spring-loaded, so how many people do you need to help lower and lift it in and out of the trunk? Does everyone still have their arms, hands and fingers? Once the top is lowered and the trunk closed, is everything latched and secured or will the roof (or perhaps the trunk lid) become a horizontal guillotine in the event of hard braking or a serious frontal collision? Perhaps you could post a video of the open/close process as no doubt other people will want to consider your manual option. Take care and be safe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If the trunk isn’t partially reverse opened too far, you can make the computer “forget” it’s in an unsecured position by disconnecting (wait a few seconds) and reconnecting the battery. Then you can pop the trunk with the button. If you the trunk is partially reverse open then it’ll get all kinds of confused and make a clicking noise when you try to open trunk. I’ve done it and didn’t hurt anything trying. Note: disconnecting the battery will also make it forget the window positions and you’ll have to reset them By rolling each one up and down and holding switch a few seconds (instructions in the owner’s manual).
Mcgruff,
IT WORKED !!! Saved me a few hundred bucks and a long day with my dummies at the dealership.
THANKS !! No I just need the horse power to get it closed manually. Can everyone/anyone come over today?
Tom

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mcgruff,
IT WORKED !!! Saved me a few hundred bucks and a long day with my dummies at the dealership.
THANKS !! No I just need the horse power to get it closed manually. Can everyone/anyone come over today?
Tom

·
Registered
9 Posts
Boomer,
I do remember seeing that port years ago. I have a few guys that could help manipulate the top to the UP position but my trunk release button is inoperable. Guessing it was a safety issue, when TOP it NOT latched in place the trunk release button will not preform. I was hoping someone knew how to bypass that circuit. Ideas??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Boomer,
I have successfully opened the trunk by disconnecting the Batt. Now i see just how heavy the lid is....Question: In your reply you stated that one person" held the UP button" while the other two manually pull top out of trunk. Is it necessary to have a finger on the UP button during manual removal ???? If so i would imagine you either had the car running or power on?
Thanks
Tom- In Orlando

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion on manually closing top. Includes a link to the instructions:

Also there is a plastic cap in the roof liner at the front of top with an Allen screw behind it. You may not need but if you had no power this could be used to manually latch the top to the windshield.

·
Registered
9 Posts
boomer, mcgruff_cu, 1of1485 and davesz26,
Thanks to all of you. My top in securely down. I decided against my dealership and found help at Orlando's Magic Mechanic. 2.5 hrs and $300 later i was in business. We did locate the leaky piston (Main One) then filled the reservoir and moved the top into place. Now if i'm going to keep this car ill need to find a refurbed or replacement for this part. I understand they are very rare, Does anyone have access to this part or know where is should start to look?
Thanks,
Tom in Orlando

1 - 20 of 24 Posts