Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My top goes all the way to windshield but will not finish the cycle and latch shut..I was told I could manually close it which would be what I need to do cause summer is almost gone and may have to actually live in my car.. Please help!!??

·
Super Moderator
966 Posts
There is a switch in the front drivers dowel pin receiver (the hole where the big pins on the front of the convertible top drop in above the windshield). If that is not sensing the top drop into place the cycle will not complete. To manually latch it the is a plastic cover near the center of the roof lining that should expose the access to manually complete the move and have the crab claws secure the top into place. Not had to do it myself, but I did take a peek once to see what was there. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is a switch in the front drivers dowel pin receiver (the hole where the big pins on the front of the convertible top drop in above the windshield). If that is not sensing the top drop into place the cycle will not complete. To manually latch it the is a plastic cover near the center of the roof lining that should expose the access to manually complete the move and have the crab claws secure the top into place. Not had to do it myself, but I did take a peek once to see what was there. Hope it helps.
Well I found the manual hole that moves the claws but not really sure what exact kind of tool to use..It looks like a possible Alan key type tool but it wasn't strong enough to actually secure the top...

·
Super Moderator
966 Posts
It is supposed to be a hex or Allan key. You may have to push down on the front of the roof above the windscreen to get the top seated correctly before you can turn the Allen key to secure the top / crab claws. I have not had to do this, so I would be careful not to force anything.

From the service manual

Font Art Pattern Number Monochrome

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is supposed to be a hex or Allan key. You may have to push down on the front of the roof above the windscreen to get the top seated correctly before you can turn the Allen key to secure the top / crab claws. I have not had to do this, so I would be careful not to force anything.

From the service manual

View attachment 19325
Ok we did do that and could see that it indeed does move the claws but I literally sat on top of my roof and it didn't wanna lock in place..Maybe my pressure on roof was "too much" pressure not allowing the claws to do its thing..
Thx Boomer for your insight and help.. You're greatly appreciated

·
Super Moderator
966 Posts
The roof is pretty heavy, and the hydraulics will release pressure after about 5 mins. I would have expected it to drop fairly easily into place. If you can get any function from the hydraulics or move things manually, it may be worth reversing the top move and retrying. For example, the crab claws may have tried to close without being in the right downward position causing them to bind or other parts of the mechanism to lock in the wrong place. Fully opening them and lifting the top up and back down through whatever range of motion you have might reset this or ease spotting any objects that could be restricting the hinges near the rear window or where the main lift rams move the top. Please be safe and careful if you do decide to work on or move the roof yourselves.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The roof is pretty heavy, and the hydraulics will release pressure after about 5 mins. I would have expected it to drop fairly easily into place. If you can get any function from the hydraulics or move things manually, it may be worth reversing the top move and retrying. For example, the crab claws may have tried to close without being in the right downward position causing them to bind or other parts of the mechanism to lock in the wrong place. Fully opening them and lifting the top up and back down through whatever range of motion you have might reset this or ease spotting any objects that could be restricting the hinges near the rear window or where the main lift rams move the top. Please be safe and careful if you do decide to work on or move the roof yourselves.
Yeah unfortunately the button used to open n close is not working all together now and I can't open trunk unless I unplug the battery which allows me to open trunk from my key fob but when I close the trunk I have to unplug the battery again to pop trunk..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We just tried it again and the Alan key moves the claws but when put in the holes it will not budge the claws and afraid it will be broke..The motor to the top is not responding at all when I push the button..I have to figure out something quick considering I may be living out of my car next week and don't wanna be going down the road and my top flies off

·
Super Moderator
966 Posts
We just tried it again and the Alan key moves the claws but when put in the holes it will not budge the claws and afraid it will be broke
Remember that the claws usually have a hydraulic ram to open and close them, that can apply a fair bit of pressure. If I think about how mine closes, the top is usually resting lightly on the rubber trim and the claws have to drag to top down to create a seal. That is likely going to require some pressure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We'll check the fuze and fluid level of hydraulic pump. Pump might of took a dump or tripped fuze hinge might be jammed or bent does it ding
Thx swoop for your reply..The pump is fine and it's weird cause as of now when I push retract button it does nothing, but every so often after opening my trunk by reset of battery remove it will work pushing the button but only rolls the windows down and keeps running motor....shhzzzzzzzzz but with no movement of top

1 - 12 of 12 Posts