Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter had a 2007 g6 gt hardtop
Convertible. It would not fully shut the latches are closed. I was able to figure out how to manually open but found a cable in trunk on passenger side that got broke during operation keeping the latches from opening and sealing top. It is on passenger side does anyone know what that cable is called?

·
Super Moderator
966 Posts
I believe the cables were known as "Convertible Top Cover Release Cables". GM Part Number 25906915 for the passenger side or 25906916 for the driver side I believe. No idea if you can still get them but the part numbers may help. Equally you can operate the top without the bat wing. It just leaves a bat wing sized hole when the top is down. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe the cables were known as "Convertible Top Cover Release Cables". GM Part Number 25906915 for the passenger side or 25906916 for the driver side I believe. No idea if you can still get them but the part numbers may help. Equally you can operate the top without the bat wing. It just leaves a bat wing sized hole when the top is down. Good luck with it.
It’s a cable that controls the front latches they took back cover batwings off already … it’s cable right behind back passenger seat and controls the latches opening and shutting where the top meets windshield….all the sudden they won’t open and shut with out manually doing it

·
Super Moderator
966 Posts
I think I may be misunderstanding the item in question. To the best of my knowledge, the "crab claw" latches that secure the front of the convertible roof to the frame above the front windshield are operated by a hydraulic ram behind the roof liner. That ram is fed by a hydraulic line that runs up the passenger side of the car. Is the hydraulic line the part you are asking about? If it were faulty, I would suspect you would be losing a lot of hydraulic fluid. Sorry if I am misunderstanding the question - maybe a picture would help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I may be misunderstanding the item in question. To the best of my knowledge, the "crab claw" latches that secure the front of the convertible roof to the frame above the front windshield are operated by a hydraulic ram behind the roof liner. That ram is fed by a hydraulic line that runs up the passenger side of the car. Is the hydraulic line the part you are asking about? If it were faulty, I would suspect you would be losing a lot of hydraulic fluid. Sorry if I am misunderstanding the question - maybe a picture would help.
I can push the button get top down but when put back up the crab claws are closed and will not seal unless manually open them, button will stop working completely till manually open claws!Maybe the cable behind passenger seat I seen broken is to the batwing that taken off because is no hydraulic fluid leaking that I can see at all.

·
Super Moderator
966 Posts
The "bat wing" cables look like bicycle brake cables. One of mine is disconnected as the wing broke off. That cable should have no impact on the front claws.

The first thing I would suggest is to check the hydraulic fluid level. If it is low you may get an incomplete cycle or unusual operating conditions. Generally, if the fluid level is low, you have a leak somewhere. The stock radio will usually provide some basic info like "Top not secure", "Top move complete". Are you getting any messages?

Another issue that stops the roof from completing the close cycle is a problem with the microswitch that sits in the drivers side hole that the big dowel or locating pins drop into as the roof drops into position ready for the crab claws to close. A sensor issue might prevent the folding top module from sensing that the top is in the right position to close the claws. It may also be useful to remove the roof liner so you can see what is happening. You will see the hydraulic ram and the mechanism that drives the crab claws. On that particular ram there is a hall effect sensor to provide position information back to the folding top module. An OBD II scan tool that includes an option for the folding top module may also prove useful to show you what the module sees in terms of switch positions etc.

Hope some of that helps you find and fix the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I get top not secure message! This all sudden started I don’t see any leaked fluids and I looked all over trunk space trying find why claws are not working right! Cable could be from bat wing looks Black with silver lines in it….I’m single mom do t know how take the roof liner I used YouTube to figure out how to manually close it for her

·
Super Moderator
966 Posts
ok, that helps set the scene. Maybe try something simple first. One of the last things that happens is the roof drops into position where the dowel pins go into the holes and the crab claws are waiting to close. My guess is that this is where you have to complete the manual step to fully secure the top. The most likely issue at that point (and just a best guess on my part) is that the microswitch in the front driver's side dowl pin receiver (the hole that the big dowel pin near the driver's side crab claw drops into) is not activating as expected. The switch may be broken, or it may be a little misaligned.

So for this bit you need to be careful not to put your hand or fingers where they can be caught. Once the top has stopped moving, you can reach out of the driver's window and pull down on the roof a little. Closer to the front, but away from where the roof will close. If you pull down a little (or have someone else push down gently on the roof), you might get the sense switch to activate. Pushing the roof close button may get it to complete the cycle. This clearly won't fix the problem long term (and may not work at all), but it would be a fairly clear indication that the driver's side dowel sense switch is the problem, and you can decide what to do about it from there

The pictures in this thread might help you see what I mean - Folding Top Header Dowel Position Sw

Best of luck with it and hope it helps

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ok first things first is the top closed and your getting the not secure message or can you see it doesn't finish closing you have to hold button until il back lid closes and then top drops in . A little nudge at end .ok that said mine has something to do with the bat wing broken driver side I think ? Still processing bat wing operation theirs got to be something that shows bat wing position?open and closed my top not secure problem started when wing broke my question is why did you remove them are they broke ?there operation has to lock in an out open close but I'm not sure yet what sensor or what that switch if top is close and message appears top is closed buy trunk will not open unless you disconnect battery ps if wings are not broken I'll buy for a pretty price?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts