Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post to this club and I am hoping someone has some answers to my G6 issue. A little while ago I put a large container of toilet paper in the trunk and since it was a beautiful day, I decided to put the top down. The large container of toilet paper raised the retractable shade no more than about an inch and I didn't think this would be an issue, I thought to my self, they would leave a little room for situations like this when they engineered this vehicle. Unfortunately, when I got home I went to raise the top and partway on its movement, I heard a crunchy pop noise and suddenly the roof was locked in an almost closed position and would not quite finish its closing, I couldn't even retract it back either, it was locked in that position. I finally had some time to have a good look to see what happened and I can clearly see what made the noise but I'm not exactly sure as to what caused this issue to begin with. I don't want to put a new section on and have this happen again. Does anybody have any ideas as to what would have caused this problem? Even if the toilet paper touched the roof, did that cause something to bend or warp? Everything looks perfect. I have been in contact with a couple of auto wreckers and it seems like 3 out of the 5 tops I have found have this same damage, some only on one side and others with both sides damaged same as mine. If anybody else has had this issue, I would appreciate any help or advice.
I have attached some pictures of the damage Thanks for your help!

Attachments

·
Registered
270 Posts
Your apron is suppose to have a sensativity switch to prevent these situations from happening. Any extra tension on the apron will cause the switch to do is job and should prevent the roof from opening in the first place onto your toilet paper. Despite what you think you you know about your toilet being soft and gentle, when it is rolled up it is quite solid and unforgiving. When your roof opened on top of it, I would bet that you bent something or caused some sort of misalignment. Which in turn,caused the rest of your problems.
I try to never put any items under the aprons or on top of them if I plan to use the retractable roof function. Even better, I would much rather have To climb out of the seat of my car to unrolll the apron just prior to opening my roof.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much for your post Convertme, as for anything being "bent" or "misaligned" I have looked very closely at every moving part on the mechanism and I can't see any damage at all, I have even looked at a friends G6 and compared dimensions & components, everything looks identical.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts