Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone changed the transmission fluid on there g6 2007 3.5 liter? Im at 182k miles and thing its a good time to change the transmission fluid so the transmission will last longer or are the transmission fluid not considered required maintenance on these cars.

How do you change the fluid or service maintenance change the fluid? Is there a trans filter that needs to be replaced by dropping the trans pan or do these cars not have a transmission fluid filter. Is there a drain bolt somewhere and how many quarts come out or need to go back in from the top trans dipstick. Im assuming whatever amount comes out has to go back in as far as transmission fluid goes.
Also what type of transmission fluid do these cars use?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yes thank you i was just under there changing the oil. I see it has a rather big size transmission pan vs the standard 4l60e th350 th400 gm transmissions where ive dropped the pan and changed filter gaskets before.

So you just unbolt the all the bolts on the pan pop out old filter new filter snaps in and refill it to the dipstick reading. Whatever came out of the pan amount must go back in. Whats 4 speed trans is it 4T65 or 4T45? 7 and 7.4 quarts is the total transmission capacity? Dexon 6 or synthetic 6? Valvoline makes a max life or high mileage synthetic 6 which is compatible with most vehicles 6 is compatible with dexron 3 and is a far superior trans fluid.

When i changed the fluid and filter after first buying my 99 corvette last year i bought the 20$ filter from autozone. The autozone notes say when you change the filter which requires pan removal you have to add 5 quarts. As the 99 corvette transmission is in the rear no dipstick just a plug 3" high from the bottom of the pan that you have to use a hand fluid pump to fill it to the level while the engine is running. I back it up on rhino ramps to check the fluid.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used the pan drop and refill method. Dexron VI is the fluid. There is a transmission filter to be replaced.

(174) 2007 Pontiac G6 Transmission fluid change - YouTube

View attachment 19301
Thanks that helps alot its about the same as my corvettes 4l60e filter fresh fluid change last year. Its 21.99 for the new filter and gasket from autozone. Suppose it is 7 quarts when you drop the pan. I usually dont mess with the seal ring and just remove replace the filter as it snaps into place fairly nice easy and snug. Car tear up stuff trying to remove install the ring.

According to the 2007 g6 3.5l service manual how often are you suppose to change the trans fluid and filter? Im at 182k miles the cars daily driven and well taken care of by my younger brother i just do the mechanic work to the cars maintenance as well.
I seen one guy has 266k miles on his g6 im trying to make this one last as well.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am not aware of a transmission fluid & filter service interval. I seem to recall GM labeled it a lifetime fluid, but I choose to ignore them and change it. I have done it at roughly 100k miles
You sure its a lifetime fluid? I have seen the replacement filters and 6.9 quarts when replacing new transmission filter on a couple youtube videos.
There isnt a reason to change it though if it is a lifetime type of transmission fluid. Though around 190k a fresh fluid filter change would get the most life out of the transmission.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So its 100k miles before changing the 07 g6 trans fluid filter service? Drop the pan and 7 quarts of synthetic dexron 6 fluid?

So its every 50k miles change trans fluid on the 3.5liter v6 g6 transmission?

·
Registered
141 Posts
When changing the fluid on my G6 I drop the pan, replace the filter, and measure the amount of old fluid that was drained into the catch pan and add the same amount of new fluid back in. Works for me with no problems.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im assuming theres a torque converter and flexplate on these engines correct same as any other v8 auto? Some fluid would still remain in the torque converter. I watched youtube videos where they change the filter and the filter box says 6.9 quarts of fluid to put back in when changing filter or dropping the pan. Yes i would see how much trans fluid comes out as well but it could always be a little low. There is only a filler cap on top of the transmission.

Also stated that the stock gasket was metal and reusable if you can see that its not leaking prior to removing the pan. The gasket that comes with the filter is a cheap rubber gasket. Would the ac delco trans filter for 40$ come with the stock metal gasket that may be superior to the 21$ cheapest option filter with the rubber gasket.
What fluid are we suppose to use dexron synthetic 6 fluid or any other say valvoline high mileage synthetic 6 fluid which is compatible with almost all other types of fluid. I used Valvoline maxlife or high mileage synthetic 6 in my 99 corvette last summer would be best as synthetic last longer and far more durable? Its 18$ for a 5 quart jug at walmart.

Heres what i used last year on my other car that need dexron 3 or 6 fluid. Online walmart has it for 23$ maybe cheaper instore off the shelf. Works with most transmission types.
Valvoline MaxLife Multi-Vehicle Full Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) 1 GA - Walmart.com

Tire Rectangle Liquid Font Logo

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm pretty sure FelPro has the metal gasket included in their filter kit. You may be over thinking the capacity issue. If you had zero leaks and drained a quart of fluid then added a quart how could you possibly be a little low? Answer, you couldn't be unless you had a leak beforehand.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm pretty sure FelPro has the metal gasket included in their filter kit. You may be over thinking the capacity issue. If you had zero leaks and drained a quart of fluid then added a quart how could you possibly be a little low? Answer, you couldn't be unless you had a leak beforehand.
Great so fel pro one has the metal gasket yeah id prefer the metal gasket. On the filter it says 6.9 quarts when changing trans filter.

Same with my 99 corvette when changing transmission filter 4l60e with rubber gasket autozones notes say to add 5 quarts of trans fluid when dropping the pan. Im assuming its the same as the 99 c5 to 07 g6 what the filter recommends 6.9 quarts when dropping the pan or changing fluid and filter which should come out once pan is removed.
Yeah its every 50k miles im going to try to change it soon.

No i seen on youtube "g6 trans filter change" the guy remarks the stock filter is metal if it isnt leaking reuse the stock metal one vs the flimsy rubber gasket.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Which is correct the 12 bolt or 20 bolt pan gasket? Both are listed for 07 g6 3.5.
Duralast is 12 bolt the rpt is 20 bolt gasket. Which is correct guess id have to compaure in store?

duralast nice filter is the corkrubber gasket cheap shit. https://www.autozone.com/filters-an...utomatic-transmission-filter-tf190/296985_0_0

RPT Shift Pro Automatic Transmission Filter 997142 (autozone.com)
The rpt one has the stock style metal gasket coated in rubber for 32$ this may be the correct filter gasket kit vs duralast corkscrew rubber which is bad if you ask me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i read the manual has see foot note H on the 3.5 auto trans filter service area 50k. It says change at 50k only if H footnote car is driven above 80 degrees, extremely hot temps, used for towing, or for taxi delivery driver. So does that mean that car transmission fluid may not need to be changed every 50k miles according to footnote H in the service manuals. Ill try rock auto or amazon the victor reinz gasket is nice. It is a 12 bolt trans pan and not 20 bolts correct.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Theres a side check level plug on the side of transmission according to youtube videos. Do you fill it to the plug with the car running or off on my 99 corvette you fill it till its pouring out the pan fill plug.

·
Registered
15 Posts
So its 100k miles before changing the 07 g6 trans fluid filter service? Drop the pan and 7 quarts of synthetic dexron 6 fluid?

So its every 50k miles change trans fluid on the 3.5liter v6 g6 transmission?
I asked a Transmission guy who works on every car known to man and he says if people changed their t-oil every 20,000 miles, you are very unlikely to ever have any issues. Since I am selling my G6 and driving a Murano :-( with the dubious CVT issues, I am going to do that. Don't tak my word for it, and it probably depends on how you drive it - I used to drive the G6 pretty hard.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts