Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 G6 that I bought used 11 months ago. It currently has about 44k miles on it. I'm having issues with the cooling system somewhere but I'm not sure where...here are the symptoms

1.) surge tank keeps going empty. I filled it up in mid January, it's empty again. no visible leaks, no sweet smell.
2.) when the heater is on and i'm idling or come to a stop sign it goes from heat to icy cold air.
3.) when i am at a stop sign and take off I can hear fluid sloshing around.

I admit, I don't know anything about cars but I don't want to take it to the dealer and just tell them to find the problem because they are expensive as hell and I'm sure can find lots of problems to attend to.

Advice?

·
Da.v3
597 Posts
maybe the same place mine is going...? who knows.

tho mine isnt that bad...mine just randomly gets low..and i get low coolant warning...

to mention that..doesnt your car warn you its getting low well before its empty?! yours actually gets to empty?!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Your coolant is low. You need to add coolant right away.
Same thing happened to me. Turned out to be leaking head gaskets. My tailpipe was constantly blowing white smoke and the engine block was wet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah that's another thing that worries me - I've never seen any warning lights telling me my fuel was low. it tells me when it's time for an oil change, when my fuel is low, when i have low traction...but it's never popped up with a low coolant light. I just happened to notice my car was running a little hotter than usual and I checked it.

My engine block isn't wet and there's no white smoke. I'm hoping that's a good sign?

Thanks for your responses. :)

·
Registered
606 Posts
Could be cracked block, good news, your 07 is covered 5 year 100K. There is a TSB on it, so they will know what to look for. If it was your heater core you would smell it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had the same problem with heat and leaking coolant all of this past winter, on one of the first warm days I filled the coolant all the way and as soon as I started the car it reached temp, (just under 225), every but of coolant ran straight to the ground, turned out to be a crack in a little rubber cap, that completely tore open, I believe the cap was a fail safe for high pressure in the coolant system, some people call it a "blow cap" or a pressure cap. Now that it's about to get cold again, I'm having heating problems once again and running code PO449, for the EVAP canister vent solenoid.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 2007 G6 that I bought used 11 months ago. It currently has about 44k miles on it. I'm having issues with the cooling system somewhere but I'm not sure where...here are the symptoms

1.) surge tank keeps going empty. I filled it up in mid January, it's empty again. no visible leaks, no sweet smell.
2.) when the heater is on and i'm idling or come to a stop sign it goes from heat to icy cold air.
3.) when i am at a stop sign and take off I can hear fluid sloshing around.

I admit, I don't know anything about cars but I don't want to take it to the dealer and just tell them to find the problem because they are expensive as hell and I'm sure can find lots of problems to attend to.

Advice?
Thermostat is bad

·
Registered
1 Posts
Your coolant is low. You need to add coolant right away.
Same thing happened to me. Turned out to be leaking head gaskets. My tailpipe was constantly blowing white smoke and the engine block was wet.
I have a o6 GTP 3.9 coupe, my thermostat was bad. I changed it and was putting antifreeze in it. While I was pouring it in it was leaking out of the bottom of the car. I can't seem to find out where it is coming from? Any answers

·
Registered
699 Posts
There is a Tee piece that joins the hoses below the coolant fill reservoir that often fails. It gets brittle and kink of falls apart.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts