Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 base 4cyl G6 with 145,000 miles we bought new. Getting the power steering message on the screen and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. If you turn it off and turn it back on it usually works. At a light, sitting still the wheel twitches. Took it to the dealer this morning and they are going to put a column in it for $700. They think the module is OK. I thought 2008 was usually the module? Mine is a late '07 so I would think it more like an '08 than an '05-06? They say I do not qualify for any coverage even under the extensioin of the Service Bulletin. Anybody else with a similar issue on an '07?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, the column seems to have fixed it. Nobody else with an '07 having steering issues? Interesting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm having the EXACT same issue with the EXACT same model/engine.

I'm probably going to attempt to fix it this weekend. I wonder how much the column itself costs? Will I need the dealership to do any computer resetting if I install the column myself?

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I decided to try the Dorman 905-513 steering angle and torque sensor. Installation was very easy and it fixed the steering wheel twitch and loss of power steering!
Part was $110 from RockAuto.com. No need to buy the entire steering column or have a shop do the labor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I did not need to do any programming with mine. During disassembly and reassembly, I was careful not to turn or move any parts or get anything out of alignment. Then I followed Dorman's video exactly on how to replace the sensor.
It started right up and acted as if there was never a problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts