Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted everyones input on this. How much do you think we are talking about overall price wise and what all components would need to be installed? The engine alone is roughly 3200, not to mention I'd need a 6 speed tranny, which I'm not sure of the price. What else would I need and would this be a reasonable swap? It would deffinately be a project in the making since I don't have the funds currently. Just wanted some opinions.

·
Varsity Squad
751 Posts
I have just one question.... WHY???? Go from a 3.9 to a 3.6? Just dosen't sound like it would be anywhere worth doing, but you would also need either new computers for engine and trany or reprogramming. You can get pretty good deals from GMPartsdirect.com.

·
GTP 06
588 Posts
I'll just let you know now.. Quit thinking about it, won't be done.. not saying can't, but unless you dedicate a nice long time out of your life trying to make it work, it would be faster and cheaper in most cases to buy a GXP.

·
Heavy Modder
18 Posts
why in the WORLD would you want to spend that kinda money for a SMALLER engine!?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Mine has the 3.6, and I agree, it would be better just to trade to a GXP. Not only would you have the 3.6 then, but the 6 speed auto stick, awesome body, faux duel exhaust, and what sold me on the car... heated leather seats :p

·
Varsity Squad
751 Posts
My 06 GTP with the 3.9 had 240hp @ crank when stock and the GXP with the 3.6 has 251hp stock a difference of 11hp stock. With exhaust, intake, and jet stage 2 module my GTP dynoed @ almost 265hp @ crank. I dont know why the GXP did not have the option for a REAL 6 speed manual trans like my GTP.

Straight from Motor Trend:
2006 Pontiac G6 GTP Coupe Performance & Efficiency Standard Features
- 3,880 cc 3.9 liters V 6 front engine with 99 mm bore, 84 mm stroke, 9.8 compression ratio, overhead valve, variable valve timing/camshaft and two valves per cylinder LZ9
- Unleaded fuel 87
- Fuel economy EPA highway (mpg): 29 and EPA city (mpg): 21
- Multi-point injection fuel system
- 16 gallon main unleaded fuel tank
- Power: 179 kW , 240 HP SAE @ 6,000 rpm; 240 ft lb , 325 Nm @ 2,800 rpm

2009 Pontiac G6 GXP Sedan Performance & Efficiency Standard Features
- 3,564 cc 3.6 liters V 6 front engine with 94.0 mm bore, 85.6 mm stroke, 10.2 compression ratio, double overhead cam, variable valve timing/camshaft and four valves per cylinder LY7
- Unleaded fuel 87
- Multi-point injection fuel system
- 16.4 gallon main unleaded fuel tank 13.7
- Power: 188 kW , 252 HP SAE @ 6,300 rpm; 251 ft lb , 340 Nm @ 3,200 rpm

My GTP also has heated leather seats too ralthoff.

·
Registered
159 Posts
spend like 3 grand and get more hp than the 3.6....?

higher compression pistons, lightened + cryo'd rods, and then tune for the higher compression...

·
Registered
286 Posts
Holy Balls Cal, I didn't know you dynoed at 265. Did you post that at one time and I missed it or what?

Was that the corrected gain or actual?

·
Varsity Squad
751 Posts
265 @ the crank was the adjusted rating for the crapy weather, altitude, and all that stuff. The day I ran was like 80% humidity and in the high 80's, not the ideal day for running on the dyno, but they had some program that adjusted for all that and the loss from the crank to the wheels.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts