Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Pontiac G6 GT Convertible
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Pontiac G6 and I have been having problems with the cooling fans. They will not come on. My granddad replaced the radiator but then the cooling fans would not turn on. I did some research and replaced my CTS, but still they wouldn't come on. Then I unplugged the CTS and they turned on. Any suggestions on what could be wrong?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Does the temperature gauge work as normal?
CEL and codes?
Do both fans work, or just one side?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@davez26 whenever i plug the CTS the temperature gauge works but the fans don't. but whenever i unplug the CTS it's the exact opposite.
I'm not sure about the codes, how would i check?
Yes, both fans work whenever i unplug the CTS

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@davez26 I just got a FIXD kit and i'm working on getting the codes now. i'll let you know what i get.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@davez26 The report said "Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit High Imput, (Engine code: P0118)
I ran the tests with and without the CTS plugged in and got the same results.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Doing some Dad stuff at the moment, I will punch into my Service Manual later to see if it offers any clues.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Okay you are saying that your Engine Temp gauge doesn't work with the CTS in the circuit? Is that right? And if you unplug the CTS the gauge works and the fans come on? Is that right? What is the engine temperature when you do all of this?

·
Registered
33 Posts
That is too high! It should be 195 and the thermostat should open and the fans should come on. You need to make sure all the air is out of the system and filled with coolant properly first. You have to burp the hoses and force any air out. Does the gauge work properly from a cold engine to 195 in about 10-15 min?

·
Registered
260 Posts
What's a CTS?
It was said partly in post #5. Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor. It generates the signal of engine coolant temp to the dash gage and to the car's computer for engine performance parameters and to tell when to turn the radiator fans on and off.
It's mounted on the motor in a coolant passage. Exact location will vary between motor size.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts