Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
2007 gt retractable
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i keep seeing on here about the retractable roof breaking.is there a way to avoid it?

·
Registered
267 Posts
i keep seeing on here about the retractable roof breaking.is there a way to avoid it?

Like anything else, I think it is more or less about maintenance. Keep everything clean and lubed. GM recommends a lubricant 12346241, use it. Do not substitute. Use it on anything back there that moves. Don't be bashful! Spray all the pivots, latches, cables, anything at point of movement. The cables are a weak point. If the cables break, the bat wing it operates can get crushed or busted by the linkage. Spray inside the housing with the top up and try to with the top 1/2 open. The cables can get loose from the nut backing off, so confirm that the housings are tight down low at the bend where the cable has a nut.
If you are going to be working on the top, have the car flat and running. If off, the top will time out and close quickly. Most of the time I open the top with cover panel nearly vertical and lubricate at that point you can open the top so that it is high and flat too, but try not to do it for long. Keep your hands out of all the top components when you have it open and you are doing something. If something gives up, you don't want to be in there! Obviously you can lube up some of it with the top up and trunk open.
I use the top a lot, but I try to not operate under 32*f. I also watch the bat wings to be sure everything is cool.
I have broken a bat hinge before, it sucks.
I found a spare cable, and fixed the hinge by drilling the panel and using an HD zip tie as a loop over the pivot. I can push a picture.
You can even run without a wing, looks kinda silly, but it's no biggie.
I hope that this helps!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts