Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 3.5L has 99,000 on it with no problems. I am going to do the Trans flush and oil change and am thinking of putting a cooler on while working on it because I occasionally tow with it.

It appears you can buy coolers with different sizes of hose....which size hose should I use?

Also I live in Michigan and I've read that a cooler in cold weather can cause problems until the oil warms. Should a thermal valve be installed and if so does it cause any problems with pressure or other issues if used? :confused:

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
I actually went ahead and added a twin transmission cooler setup in my G6 not too long ago, Came out pretty well and well worth it! My transmission LOVES it. I wrote a HOW-TO here: http://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12261

The stock trans lines are 3/8"s at the rubber hoses (where I tapped into) All trans cooler kits come with everything you need except for the barbed fittings to tap into the vehicles trans lines..

I would say install the trans cooler AFTER the radiator so it still gets a chance to warm up in the cooler weather.

I went with two Light Duty coolers, you can do the same, or go with one, or go with a medium duty if you want.

There seem to be two different kinds...
I used this kind:

Mainly because it's still a solid 3/8" line that just passes back and forth through the cooler.

But this style cooler:

This "Stacked fin type" Is more efficient but may get it too cold IMO. So that's why I went with the less efficient style, So it cooled it but didn't over cool it haha.

But please check out that How-To and feel free to ask any questions! I'm more than willing to help out!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm leaning to a Derale 13502 Series 8000 Plate Fin Transmission Cooler Kit; should do the job. I presume it will fit in there....7.25" x 11"????

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Oh yea there's a lot of room to fit a cooler. But room to work may be sparse. You can pull the plastic radiator cover and get a good look. Did u check out the how-to? I posted pics of the install and space.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts