Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm new to this forum and I have read a few of threads. I have noticed several issues dealing with the G6's not starting. Here is the issue that I'm experiencing:

- Car started fine a few days ago and then one morning I had to give it a boost. The car started fine for a few days and then one morning it wouldn't start again. Gave it another boost and it started fine until today. Now it will not start at all. Boost the G6 drove it around for about an hour hopeing that the alternator will charge the battery but when I stopped at the gas station it would not crank. Lucky I had jumper cables in my trunk and I was able to boost it off again. Got home turned the car off and it will not start at all. Hooked the booster cables touched the end of the cables together no spark coming from the battery of the G6. Boost off again the car started right up and then I removed the positive lead from the battery and the car died. This told me that it is the Alternator. Can anyone out there verify this? Has anybody experienced this issue on a 2008 Pontiac G6 V6 3.5L 45000 miles on it? :(

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
I think if it was the alternator, the car would've died while you were driving. I'm thinking that since it just won't start, I'm thinking it's more of a battery issue than alternator.

·
Slick Black Pontiac
151 Posts
I think if it was the alternator, the car would've died while you were driving. I'm thinking that since it just won't start, I'm thinking it's more of a battery issue than alternator.
yep. Dead Battery.

BTW, alternator will often not charge a "totally dead" battery.

Also, Every time you "totally drain" a battery, it loses between 5% to 10% of its usable life.

You'll need a new battery.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for all the responses. I will replace the battery hopefully that will work. I had the exact same issue with my BMW and I replaced the battery and that did not fix it. I had to replace the Alternator and that fixed it. I know different vehicles but the symptoms were the same. With the BMW I immediately replaced the battery and I was hoping to save some money. Once again thanks all for the advice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Up and running again

Well all my 2008 G6 is up and running once again. After replacing my battery and alternator yesterday Sunday 07/25/2010 in 101 degree weather. It took me about 1 hour and half just to get the alternator off and the reason why it took so long was due to the fact that I could not locate how to release the tension of the belt. I decided to travel to the nearest autozone to speak to someone that was more knowledgeable than I. The sales rep at autozone informed me not to take on replacing the alternator to take it to the dealer. So I went over to the isle where the mechanic books are to search for a service books and I was not able to locate a 2008 so I decided to look at a 2007 Pontiac G6 book and I turned to the section about replacing the alternator and there it was in black in white that the tensior bolt is located underneath. I returned back home and I had to remove the passenger side tire, pull back portion of the tire well and there it was. A few turns and the tension the belt was relieved. Removing and replacing the Alternator was a breeze. Placed the belt back on the Alternator and tightened the tension bolt. Place all the cables back in place and then connect the battery. Turned the car on and it runs like a champ. I took the G6 for a drive for about an hour and everything is running smooth. My first experience ever replacing a Alternator. I'm not a mechanic and I have alot of respect for mechanics but the cost for labor was way out of my budget. :D

·
Slick Black Pontiac
151 Posts
Congratulations! You've taken your first steps into a larger world.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.