Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm a hands on guy so I will make a list of issues my G6 is having and what I will do or have done to repair the issue. Maybe I can help someone along the way.

Issues:

1. Seats not able to recline or move the backrest at all - Solution, have your 6' 2" 240lb friend sit in each seat, pull up on the lever and slam his weight into the backrest until it breaks free. It works.

2. Drivers door issue (Radio won't turn off and window won't drop when door is opened - Coupe) Most likely caused by the door latch which also holds the door sensor. Solution so far - turn off car, tap the window down button so the window drops the same distance it would if it did it on its own. This has worked for me by somehow tricking the car into thinking it did it on its own. Final solution should be to replace the latch. $45ish.

3. Sunroof - Glass is loose and closes too far into the roof. Solution should be to tighten the forward screws at the forward inside corners of the mounting bracket. I will update when I have done this. It looks like the screws are torx.

4. Check Engine Light - Catalyst Below Threshold (P0420) I have an exhaust leak... this is most likely the cause and not the Oxygen Sensor(s). This issue is intermittent. - Solution, repair leak.

5. Turn Signal Switch - Will not lock in the left turn position and will not reset from the right turn position. - Solution, replace switch. $17ish.

6. Windshield Washer Sprayers - Sprayers are not spraying correctly. Left is spraying below the wiper arm at the base of the windshield and the right sprayer doesn't spray. - Solution, install new hoses and adjust the sprayers with a needle.

7. Exhaust leak - Hoping it's a gasket.

I will add more issues and solutions as they present themselves.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Turn signal switch fixed. Took less than 10 min with a small 7mm socket with extension. Old part is on top in the side by side pic. I literally used my finger nail to press the two tabs holding the switch in to release them. Slid right out and the new one right back in. Very simple job, just make sure you put the lever in the down position to lower the lower cover.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Took out the lower back seat and rear deck cover. What a pain in the A$$!!! I replaced the Monsoon 6x9's with some cheap speakers. I was able to reuse the factory connector and spliced it to the new speakers. Luckily the new "throw away" speakers had the wires for the tweeter running externally so I was able to clip them and splice into them. Basically they are wired just like the Monsoon 6x9's were.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seatbacks issue fixed. Strong friend and lots of force to break them free. Lift backrest handle, slam body into the seat while sitting in it and holding the handle up, do this until they break free. This took some effort but worked.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sunroof fixed. It now closes flush with the roof. Solution - Three torx screw on the inside rails of the passenger and drivers side were loosened. 6 screws total. I pushed the glass up and I could see the slots move at each screw. Once the glass was pushed up fully I held it up and screwed the rear most screws tight first, then the middle screw, then the forward most screws. I tested the sunroof and it functions as it should and closes flush.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ordered a Chilton repair manual for the G6 yesterday. I got it because Chilton's have wiring diagrams and I am doing a Sound Quality build in it. It should help me with any other issues with the car as well. I will also be purchasing the Haynes repair manual.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts