Pontiac G6 Forum banner

2008 GT -- steering shaft squeals when warm

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  JoethepainPA73 
#1 ·
I'm the new owner of a 2008 GT convertible with around 115,000 miles. I've noticed a strange issue, though. When the car is warmed up, there's a squeaking noise. However, it doesn't seem to be coming from the power steering pump on the passenger side; it sounds like it's coming from directly in front of me.

Take a listen. It's very loud in this video, louder than it is in person.

It's tough to Google this one, since all the results I see are about the power steering lockups, which the dealer says were all performed.

Also, I'm not sure if this is related, but if I turn the wheel all the way to either side and hold it there, the RPM's will drop, the car clunks and the belt may squeal, and the front end of the car will dip down.

#2 ·
I'm the new owner of a 2008 GT convertible with around 115,000 miles. I've noticed a strange issue, though. When the car is warmed up, there's a squeaking noise. However, it doesn't seem to be coming from the power steering pump on the passenger side; it sounds like it's coming from directly in front of me.

Take a listen. It's very loud in this video, louder than it is in person.

https://youtu.be/7UTDJt6RVAU

It's tough to Google this one, since all the results I see are about the power steering lockups, which the dealer says were all performed.

Also, I'm not sure if this is related, but if I turn the wheel all the way to either side and hold it there, the RPM's will drop, the car clunks and the belt may squeal, and the front end of the car will dip down.
My daughter’s car makes a similar squeal. I think it has to do with trying to turn the wheels when the car is not moving and the fact that the car has electric instead of hydraulic power steering. Maybe you should check your tire pressures - if low this might be a contributing factor. PS Most cars wil seem to dip to the side in which you are turning the steering wheel when in a stopped position.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.