Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WDYGT about this car?
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/pontiac-g6-gt-sedan-35l-2008/6563968514.html

Wary of the suspension issues. The 4th owner is selling it; it was originally a fleet rental car in Michigan. Got rust.

No records of any of the recall work being done, but the VIN shows "no open recalls" when looked up under NTHSA and GM's checker. Not sure I can safely assume it was done based on that.

Is $2500 a fair asking?

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
2500 is below blue book when I look it up.
Suspension work could be just needing shocks to needing all the ball joints and tie rod ends etc. If you can jack up the front end you can at least check for any play in those wheels, it'll point you in the right direction as far as any parts being worn out

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How about the recall work? Is that something I should expect records for? Does "no open recalls" in safercars.gov for the VIN necessarily mean the work was done?

Steering felt stiff (but still driveable fine), but it's a 2008 GT, so it should be hydraulic, not EPS right? Any other major issues I should watch out for?

Considering the low price I'm wondering if I'll have to turn around and put a bunch of repair work into it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How are repair costs generally with the G6? Considering Pontiac isn't around anymore. I've heard some work (eg convertible top) just is refused.

And how about parts availability? Are many parts shared with other GM cars of the era? e.g. Malibus?

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
For the recalls the best I can suggest is to call a dealer and provide the VIN, they can give you a definitive answer.

Some had EPS some had hydraulic, I'm not sure what the deciding factors are. It's easy enough to pop the hood and see if there's a power steering reservoir/pump.
If it had EPS and it was bad, You'd see a "POWER STEERING" message in the DIC.

Some work like convertible or panoramic sunroof work may be turned away just because parts aren't available anymore.
They build the most G6s in Sedan form, and A LOT of parts are shared with the Malibu, Cobalt, Aura etc, Even newer buicks are built on a second gen version of the same platform as the G6.
Also the same platform is used for a lot of cars overseas like Vauxhall and Opel.

It's like any other GM product of this range, parts are mostly available and mostly affordable.

The G6 is also starting to fill up the junkyards, so second hand parts will be around for quite some time.

It does sound like it may need some work, especially in the suspension area. But without taking a look or going for a good test drive. it's hard to say for sure what you may run into.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts